"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 14 April 2008

A Reader's Comment

The following email was in my inbox this morning. I've removed the writer's name:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Blog Reader"
Sent: Monday, April 14, 2008 8:22 AM
Subject: A CALISTHENIC GUARANTEED TO SECURE AN EXCRUCIATING SELF-INJURY


The province isn't following up on its mandate to protect our water resources by protecting the moraine and is leaving the municipalities to carry the load. Mrs. Buck, Why aren't you angry at the province for not doing their job? Instead you are angry with Mayor Morris because she is doing a job the premier should be, but isn't.

When the floodwaters are pouring in Mrs. Buck, you don't wait for the appropriate authorities to tell you to buy a boat. As usual you are barking up the wrong tree, looking to save a dollar, when the farm is at stake.

What saddens me most about you is not your opinions, but that there are enough people out there not paying attention, that someone like you got elected.

It is a Sad, Sad world indeed.

My response:

Good Morning Reader,


Thank you for your message. I'm sorry you are disappointed. that I do not share your views and that I was elected despite that fact.. I was not however elected to disregard the town's own Official Plan and ask the taxpayer's of Aurora to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars to argue against the law at a Municipal Board Hearing .Municipal Board decisions are based entirely on evidence of the law They do not stray outside the law. That is the reality.

The current provincial government was re-elected after they passed the Oak Ridges Moraine Act. I believe we may assume the majority of Ontarians support The Act. I do not recall Mr. Klees making an issue against the Act during the election.Nor did I observe the Green Party arguing The Act was inadequate. Were you active in the Provincial campaign arguing against The Act? I do not recall Aurora's Mayor making an issue of it during the Provincial Campaign either.

Yet that is when opposition to the terms of The Oak Ridges Moraine Act should have been fought.The millions of dollars the Province spent to take land out of development in Richmond Hill might very likely have been used by the McGuinty government to demonstrate their commitment to preserve sensitive land masses.

You are free to express your opinion and your passion for the environment and you should be. Legislators,and Aurora Councillors are legislators, must abide by the law. I believe candidates for office should be honest with the electorate. They should not make promises they know they cannot keep. That is my passion. I know it is not realistic to expect seeking votes to be absolutely straightforward But In taking the position I do, I am keeping my commitment to those who elected me.

Perhaps you will acknowledge while we may have different principles, we have the same right to adhere to our own..And to fight for them if need be.

Regards,

Evelyn Buck
Councillor

No comments: