"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 26 March 2009

That's a Wrap.

Oftentimes I know if I linger longer I will cease to be civil. I usually manage to stay until the hour of adjournment. If town business is being accomplished I'm there till it's done. Having to fight to exercise my authority as a councillor is tedious. It takes all my resources to maintain equilibrium. When I arrive at the point of saying something sufficiently cutting that it can never be forgotten or forgiven, that's when I pack up my papers and remove myself from the area of risk.

Tuesday was Budget night. The most important night of the year. From hence all things stem. Mine was the solitary vote in opposition. I regret that. There was no shortage of work and effort on the part of Councillors and staff to get the job done.

My reason was simple. I do not share the Mayor's priorities. In my book, the Corporation is not a Philanthropic Society or a Charitable Foundation. I believe people should be free to determine which charities they will or wont support. I don't appreciate someone else's hand in my pocket, filching my resources for charity and do good projects. Nor do I want it done to anyone else who has trusted me to represent their interest.

Tuesday's agenda exemplifies my concerns.

Notice had been served of a second workshop with the Integrity Commissioner. The meeting did not take place. No notice of cancellation was served. It simply was not mentioned again.

The first workshop was attended by all but three. The Mayor and Councillors MacEachern and Gallo were absent. Councillor Collins-Mrakas had served notice for an educational session prior to the Commissioner's request. At that time, Councillor MacEachern declared her opposition and stated she would not attend.

When the second session was called, the Councillor declared she would not attend because it was closed to the public. The meeting was nevertheless scheduled and then ...didn't happen. No reason given.

The budget provides for an Integrity Commissioner. Even with all members signed on save one, having it happen under these circumstances seems unlikely. An annual retainer of $12 thousand and $3 thousand to deal with complaints is itemized. Now that's weird. I understand the level of compensation for an Integrity Commissioner reflects legal fees and or a Judge's compensation as the norm.

It seems, either the program will not go forward or cost is vastly under-estimated. Either way the budget does not appear to be realistic.

My position on restoration of the Petch House is known. The budget figure was increased from $100 K to $108K. $8 thousand has apparently come from another source.$100k comes from the tax levy. No offset from development charge revenues. Privately, the word is, if the building survives the move, restoration will cost $200K and the building will be reduced from 450 to 200 sq.ft. That's about the size of a three-hole privy and a wood shed combined. How authentic is that?

Neil Garbe ,CAO, says if we do not undertake the project, we will simply pop the money into a reserve account. The sum swallows town taxes from approximately a hundred and thirty homes. Mr. Garbe comes to us from York Region.

$100K is more than Mr. Tree asked for part-time workers and casual full time employees for six months,to do work that needs to be done, at a time when some residents may badly need employment. We refused his request.


On Tuesday, the July 1st parade became a burden to taxpayers for the first time in its history. Heretofore, revenues have met its cost. But that took an Almighty volunteer effort to accomplish. It happened annually for almost forty years. But people get tired. A year of preparation over-laps from one to another. The Parade gradually diminished and was a pale shadow of its former glory.

One year I rode in a car with former Mayor George Timpson. George hid in the corner and I hung out the window waving. I'm not sure how much it contributed to the fun of the moment. But I was asked and I did it out of sympathy for the volunteer who was desperately trying to build a parade.

Staff eventually advised volunteer interest in continuing the responsibility had finally evaporated.
On the other hand, celebrations at the Lambert Willson Park had grown proportionately. More families came to the park to participate in fun events and competitions starting earlier in the day, than watched the parade on Yonge Street. Change is hard. But sometimes it happens when you're not even trying.I thought that was a good time to rest the parade.

Then along came self-proclaimed Wonder Woman, Sher St. Kitts of Snowball Corners who declared she could give Aurora the finest parade ever seen. Now it seems the effort requires too much from Ms. St. Kitts. Taxpayers, at her demand, are to pay for the parade and town staff to carry the work load. It's happening in the 2009 budget.

On Tuesday night, still another outfit received $2700 worth of free time in a town facility . They run a Masters Lacrosse Tournament and make a charitable donation to another organization They sought free use of the facility to increase their donation. Last year,they raised $47,000. They were able to plump it up with free time at the facility..

$2700 revenue to the community centre would improve the bottom line of the facility's operation and help keep fees down for regular users.

We calculate operating costs and revenue to establish user fees for minor sports organizations. Who are also volunteers providing opportunities for young residents of our town. But for outsiders, we are giving it away. It's not my idea of good or fair fiscal management.

The budget recommended painting the ceiling of Community Centre #2. The item was deleted. Following direction from the Mayor, Neil Garbe our new CAO, accompanied by three other top officials inspected the ceiling and wrote a Memo for the record advising the recommendation was for the work to be done within three years. That was not the recommendation.

Hard times were frequently referenced by the Mayor during budget deliberations. Yet our town's economy is booming. Building continues and assessment revenues increase proportionately.

The national economic downturn may well mean residents become unemployed. We have work that needs to be done and the means to pay for it without increasing taxes. Senior levels of government are pumping money to the lower levels to help mitigate precisely these problems.

That is precisely not what we are doing with this budget.

It's why it does not have my support.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if the Auroran will pick up on the Budget squanderings of this Mayor and Council.
The ubiquitous Sher St. Kitts seems to create costs for us, while generating free publicity for her husband's band. When is she going to go away?

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumour that Ms. Kitts is on the slate of candidates that Morris has put together for the next election. (and much as she might protest otherwise, morris bloody well does have a slate, there's no way a control freak like her would leave such things to chance...)

Anonymous said...

I heard a rumour that although the St-Kitts live in King - they're hoping to move their business to Aurora so she can run for council alongside the rest of the Morrisites.

I don't know whether to speak out about this, or just hide and pretend I don't see it coming.

Robert the Bruce said...

Who would be a good candidate to run against the Morris slate? Let's start naming names.....

Anonymous said...

I vote for Bruce Heffer!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Robert the Bruce has a good head on his shoulders. He might do well to show us what he's got.

I also think Grace Marsh is a mover and a shaker. Evelyn should run again too.

Bill Hogg.

I can think of a few others, but they're not already in the 'public eye' so I don't want to use their names here.

Anonymous said...

How about R. Schuetze??