"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 13 July 2012

The Lesson Continue

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "So I asked And GOt The Answer":

"The Province had directed municipalities to make an inventory of all assets and maintain records. " ... "The assets took years to inventorise. It was done on Excel spread sheets."

If you could provide the Provincial direction, could it possible detail specific requirements about the records?

Excel should NEVER be used to maintain records. That's like using 3 x 5 index cards wrapped in elastic bands in your drawer. It does not provide for proper search facilities nor does it ensure data integrity.

This is a situation where staff have done their homework to find the software that addresses the need. Where they have fallen down is in the education of the council and the users. There must be complete 100% buy in that this is the thing to do.

As far as the comment about Mr Watts calling it right.... I think his expertise is not on large-scale software projects. He is at the same level as Councillors. This is bigger than a server and a PC.

I deal with stuff of this magnitude every day. This is NORMAL - unfortunate, but normal
.

************************

The provincial edict was that municipalities must create an inventory of all  assets; every piece of land,equipment,vehicle and building. From thenceforth the inventory must be maintained. 
It is my understanding the inventory was completed on excel 
spread sheets
The correct software package  for  maintenance  would have cost $50,000.
It was not recommended. The inventory is still being maintained on spread sheets.
I take the writer's point;  " it does not provide for proper search facilities nor does it ensure data integrity"
Nevertheless,that's what  we're doing .
Instead of the $50,000 software package to allow Provincial  requirements to be satisfied, Maximo was  recommended by staff  and approved by Council at a cost of $788.611.
The  same  program that after seven years, is only now producing some benefit at the Region. 
Still not doing what was expected.
Even after changes in personnel and equipment.
It occurred to me  half an hour ago, the financial outlay  at the Region and how it has grown since the outset might be useful to know. .
I sought to obtain that answer.
Connie in Financial Services  is not picking up her phone. Kelly is on vacation. Rachel is not picking up her phone but provided a cell number. Debby is not picking up. Neither is Tom or Amelia.I did speak to Michelle who referred me to Brett, Manager of  Operations, Maintenance and Monitoring, which department is using Maximo. Brett is not picking up his phone. 
Debby just called me back to let me know she will  find the information for me. .. 
Now to go back to this morning's published comment " staff have not done their  homework to educate Council "
I am the only Councillor who did not buy into the program.
The usual patronizing comments  about moving with the times were shot across my bow.
Insufferable condescension from people who have no other reason  to feel superior than not having lived as long,  is a small irritation in the lives of people fortunate enough to have lived longer.
So far as I know, mine are the only questions about the status of the program, Answers  provided do not assure me.
My questions have been circulated  as have the answers. No  concern  emanates from among my colleagues.
Which is why I am so glad to have you to talk to.
Until I wrote the  first blog, I wasn't even referring to the software  by its name; Maximo. Now look how we have all learned.
One contention  keeps repeating,  is the need for buy-in to the program. "If  employees  don't "buy-in", the program will not be function."
It  appears to be a known  impediment to success of  the Machimo program. 
I think perhaps an impediment to staff buying in , might be the process makes no  effing sense.
Job satisfaction is a known component of a happy work force. 
I went  to a Public Works Conference once.  I heard a comment  ring clear and true. 
"Management invites employees to hang up their brains with  their  hats when they punch  the time clock.They wonder why  they have labour problems. They cause labour problems with such disrespect." 
Debby has not yet called me back. When she does, I will let  you know what else  I have discovered.    

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I think perhaps an impediment to staff buying in , might be the process makes no effing sense."

I wrote the original comment, thanks for publishing it.

Your comment above however is one that I also hear every day. It is usually heard from staff who are supposed to be using a software package. They typically do not like change. They do not understand the need for the software. This is where management has failed. Management has to explain from top to bottom what the software will do. How it will do it and why you have to do what you have to do.

If you never understood how a car works, it may make no effing sense that you need to pour a liquid into a hole in the car.