"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 8 September 2012

An Expression Of Interest

Ladies and gentlemen of the Council of the Town of Aurora:


I would like to add my voice to those of others who are urging that Council decide to place the Town of Aurora Notice Board in The Auroran.

For years I have clipped from local (and other) newspapers articles which I feel might be of long-term interest to those with either a general interest in or a need to know the history of our community. I did this first as curator of the former Aurora Museum and now as a volunteer for the Aurora Historical Society.

Since the week it was first published the Auroran has contributed far more to these local history files than has the Era-Banner. I should add that the fact that these bulging file drawers are known as "local history files" does not not mean that the contents are are only mini-histories of this or that: they contain in much greater numbers reports of the events and issues of the day, whatever they may be. These are the materials which will contribute to the compiled histories of the future.

For generations the Aurora Banner was the "go-to" newspaper for local news. In a way, I wish it were still: a researcher of the future could sit down with this one paper, confident that most of what was to be reported about a matter could be found there--just as one might go to the Toronto Star for a record of Toronto, or the Globe and Mail for a record of the nation. But for myself, both personally and as the demon clipper, the Auroran has taken over. And that means that when I turn to my truly local newspaper for news I want to find the Town's notice board there, too.

I urge you to take whatever action is needed to move the Town of Aurora Notice Board to our local paper, The Auroran.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful !

Anonymous said...

An eloquent request for Common Sense. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Yes.

Anonymous said...

I agree !

Support the both papers, but why not give more support to the paper that covers local issues as a primary focus ?

Anonymous said...

Why do we need a "Notice Board" in either? Seems like a waste.