"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 9 February 2017

ELECTIONS ET AL

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "A PIG IN A POKE": 

And yet, all the incumbents who ran in the last municipal election were re-elected. Oh, wait ... ALL
BUT ONE

Posted by Anonymous to  Our Town and Its Business at 9 February 2017 at 19:11

**********************************

The above writer is thirty-three per-cent correct. Three  incumbents were replaced in the last election. One had been elected to the provincial legislature .The second was challeger for the Mayor's office.

I came within forty-nine votes of re-election Certainly closer than the mayoralty challenger. 

Probably ninety-eight per cent of  the challenger's previous term votes were the same as the rest.

So what does that prove?  

Not a  damned thing.  

When  mayoralty is uncontested, voter-turn-out takes a dive. The election  is hardly worth holding.
I've seen it as low as twenty-percent .

When there's no real choice the  contest is a lackluster affair. 
Many residents simply didn't find their way to the poll. Several assured me later of their support
had theymade it to the polls.

Klaus Wehrenberg told me when he called for assistance weeks later, he was out of the country 
at the time of the election. He didn't vote.

I spent fifty years proving to myself what needed to be said could be and still garner enough support  to win a seat at the table.

It's a risk and there's a price to pay. Not everyone appreciates plain speaking.  
 
I would have been elected with fifty more votes. Over the long term, I have been elected more often than not. My philosophy never changed .

I gained more ,much more ,than I ever lost at the ballot box. 

I wouldn't change a thing. 

I hear John Able has formed a friendly association with  the former Mormac regime. 

John Gallo regularly attends council meetings.

 Al Wilson has also started to attend meetings. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gallo and Wilson? Good God. My skin has just broken out in a rash.

Anonymous said...



2 knaves and a joker!

Life must really be boring for them.

Anonymous said...

"John Gallo regularly attends council meetings.
Al Wilson has also started to attend meetings."

Good for them. Why should watching the council of the day be limited to one ex-councillor? As a resident of Aurora they are allowed.

To 18:48>>> Life must be even more boring to you in that you have to comment on them in a negative manner. How many council meetings have you attended?

Anonymous said...

8:27
Who said the're not allowed? Have you ever been to one of those meetings? I have, and it's quite painful. I rather listen to all the BS from council on livestream then have to sit with them, and all those around like Gallo and Wilson. I'd have to be medicated before I'd go back to one of those meetings again.

Anonymous said...

21:56
No one said they were not allowed you numb-skull. The poster said that they are allowed, in surprise about the comment that they are there.

These former members of council maybe gathering fodder for their next run at the table. Good for them.

John Abel said...

I did greet and say hello to the former Mayor, Phyllis Morris, her husband Brian, and former Councillor John Gallo at the Legion Christmas Lunch this past December. Always a delicious meal. As well at their table is Phyllis' son Brian Morris, whom I have a very good working relationship with, as he works at Minister MPP Chris Ballard's Office. Jan Freedman and her husband Frank who I think the world of were also there.

Also present at the table was Al Wilson. ( he won't even make eye contact with me, let alone shake my hand )

It's friendly, I would agree.

I can't ever recall, meeting or talking with Evelina MacEachern.

So I'm not sure that the comment a friendly association with the Mormac group would apply.

I will say that Council will look quite different after the next election, and there are several names ( not all ) mentioned above that would make very good candidates as a Councillor or as a Mayor.