"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 28 September 2019

POLITICAL RHETORIC GOES HAYWIRE

It was a struggle when I started writing the blog. Particularly on the edit. I would spend hours writing and re-writing and then somehow, I never knew how, I would lose the whole thing. If Heather Sisman hadn’t been there to sort things out, I might not have persisted. I hated trying to re-call what I’d written. But that too became part of the routine and I'm still nervous about editing.

Confining myself to the town’s affairs meant readership would not grow. Though when I was out and about people would come forward and urge me to keep writing. It made their day, they said. Sometimes I would post three times a day. I’m not sure what it did for readership but it was over-indulgence on my part.

I’ve cut down, almost to the bone, watching CNN because of repetition. For weeks at a time,
hammering away and I do mean hammering, at the same issue. My sense is they are more concerned
with defending themselves against criticism from the Oval Office Orangutang (OOO) than anything
the public needs to know.

It’s a mistake I don’t want to make. At the same time, the blog is an opinion piece so it’s hard to
avoid. I write the way I speak. I remember my first Letter to the Editor and how shocked I was by much more emphatic the written word is over the spoken.

This morning I note in The Auroran, both local Liberal candidates hanging their heads in shame over Boy Trudeau’s gaffe of decades ago in completing an Aladdin Halloween costume with a brown face. They are glad he apologized and are prepared to forgive him.

What a crock!!!

The term “brown  face” is  being interchanged with “ black  face”. It’s sleight of hand to make a point. Black face was a music hall act of a white American singing group who coloured their faces in a way that offended the black community. It bespoke the times. It’s part of America’s shameful past.
Though it’s not yet completely healed... it is the past...

It bears no relationship to Justin Trudeau’s passion for authenticity in a Halloween costume.

I am offended that others are offended by Trudeau’s harmless piece of nonsense, when there are so
many more serious matters needing to be addressed.

Trudeau’s current sack cloth and ashes routine as Prime Minister of Canada pisses me right off.

No comments: