"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 16 October 2009

Rosie Di Manno

Has had a column in the Toronto Star for years now. If she were an American, I would guess her views are right-wing republican. With the prominence enjoyed for as long as she has, it must be assumed her ideas contribute substantially to readership.

I do not read Rosie's column. It's slant has not changed since it first appeared. It would likely grate to-day as much as it did when it started.

Not reading Rosie's views does not challenge her right. If I were younger, I might envy being able to make a living as she does. We all have equal right to our views whatever they may be.

After I did it, I realised I spent a whole bunch of money on a web site that wasn't necessary. I
recently learned my mistake didn't end there. In the course of discovery, I also learned this blog is not dependent on a web site. Any internet user can post a blog. It's a free service from Google.

I use it to put out information on our town's affairs. It confines me to a narrow readership. It takes a lot of time and I welcome comments on issues.

My character, integrity , intelligence and ownership of this space are not open for discussion.

This week I wrote three posts providing information on chronology of the Oak Ridges Moraine Act. How it relates to our town; it does not prohibit development on the Moraine; some land-owners had development rights prior to passage of the Act; the Province did not choose to purchase the land to save it from development; instead they indicated their preference for a golf course development.

My solitary vote on the Westhill Development was to follow advice of staff to save the town harmless and spend town resources on what was necessary to ensure aspects of the development of concern to the town, would be attended to satisfactorily.

I do not expect the average resident to be familiar or even interested in nitty- gritty details of processing plans for development.It's tedious and time-consuming. It goes on for years. As an elected representative, it 's what I do on behalf of the rest of us. .

I do not expect new councillors to have the same grasp that comes from decades of involvement.

I do not have the expertise and up to the minute knowledge of changes in Acts and Regulations.

I expect to depend substantially on advice from staff who hold jobs and earn salaries on the basis of expertise and are forever willing to explain principles and details to any councillor interested in being sufficiently informed to make sensible decisions and who does not regard themselves beyond the need to learn.

I expect, in the current dynamics of our council, to frequently be the odd man out when it comes to a vote on substantive matters.

At no time soon, do I intend to change on the basis of how it might be perceived. I have the opportunity to tell it the way I see it and I do.

Like Rosie, my mind works the way it always has. My values do not change.The struggles of my children and seventeen grandchildren keep me grounded. The basics in life do not change.

I look for strong, straightforward and sensible representation in an elected representative. Sometimes it takes time to develop and sometimes it doesn't.

The only one I can be sure will see things the way I do ....is me.

I started this post intending to point out to frustrated commentators how simple it is to post a blog of their own.

It's energising.

Sometimes, like now, a post takes off in a different direction.

I just go with the flo.

1 comment:

White Knight said...

I really don't understand all the hoopla about your blog by those who seem to be very threatened by it. I appreciate reading your opinion. I don't always agree and that is my right, just as it was your right to post your opinion in the first place.
What I do appreciate is having the opportunity to read another perspective. Unless one gathers different perspectives, analyses and compares them how does one ever grow in one's understanding of issues and questions?
Life is about growth and learning and we have myriad means and opportunities to learn at our disposal nowadays. We live in a time where communication is almost instant and healthy, active debate and discussion can take place with all kinds of people without even leaving the comfort of our armchair.
EM Forster said "Discussion keeps a house alive; a house cannot stand by bricks and mortar alone."
Too bad the Aurora house, i.e. town hall, doesn't support discussion and debate.
Thank you for providing one more forum to hear different perspectives and opinions. Brickbats to those who are threatened and seek to censure.