"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 19 October 2009

Say It Isn't So

It isn't so. People in Aurora can not automatically change their house numbers to 4 because of a superstition.

At some time in the nineties a policy was struck that the town would not consider changing an address specifically from the number 4. There is nobody around who knows why that policy was struck.

On October 13th, Council approved the removal of the clause from the policy.

Now people can request the number change. If circumstances permit, such as existing spacing of street numbers and all the normal agencies do not have an objection, the request may be granted.

An application would be needed and that involves a fee to cover the process.

People do know their street address when they buy their homes.

Aurora gets about ten requests a year while Richmond Hill and Markham get hundreds.

The current policy targets the number 4. Staff recommended the change to provide equal consideration for all numbers.

Council approved the report without discussion. The details above did not emerge for that reason.

2 comments:

someone who loves this town more than politics said...

Evelyn, thank you for clarifying this. No where else did I read a proper explanation of what and why decisions were made, the result was confusing and looked overtly silly.

I have one follow up question, when you say:

"The current policy targets the number 4. Staff recommended the change to provide equal consideration for all numbers."

Does this mean that with a level playing field should a resident wish to change their house number to 13 or 666 that they could make such a request? I know these numbers were removed from circulation some time ago on the basis of superstition. The reason I ask is my house is #15, it should be #13. I don't care either way but am curious whether I have the same right to apply for a number change as someone looking to change a #4.

G said...

Evelyn,

I believe the original policy was struck because the number "4" is considered unlucky to many Asians.

If I'm not mistaken, the reason is that the number resembles the Chinese character for "Death". Markham, I believe, enacted the same "No 4" rule for residential addressing not long ago.

Frankly, I think it's a non-issue.

But I daresay I chuckled when I saw that municipal staff wanted to "provide equal consideration for all numbers." After all, Heaven forbid we should hurt some poor number's feelings...