"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Questions and Answers. January 2010

The cost of the report giving a definition of the word" storage" would not be exorbitant. It took the Chief Building Official's time to look up three defintions and write the report.

It would be passed through the agenda of the Management Team meeting. It would be forwarded to the Clerk's department to appear on council's agenda. Thirty-five copies of the agenda would be circulated in order to reach the Council table.

It might have given the appearance of substance to a Council Business Agenda. But it was all about nothing.

However much it cost was too much.
************************
The Chief Building Official's job is onerous.. She is responsible for ensuring all buildings in Aurora are constructed in accordance with the National Building Code and the Ontario Building Code. Regulations governing her responsibilities are extremely demanding.

Penalties for failure are severe. Not just for failing to adhere to regulations but for making sure buildings in Aurora and the people in them are safe and sound and healthy.

Building Inspectors have to be certified. Training is on-going to keep up with the skills required
.
In the re-organisation, the Chief Building Official is now made responsible for Town Bylaw Enforcement.

I think the responsibilities of the Chief Building Official are as much as one person can handle
and do the job right. I see no merit in loading the position with additional oversight .

When the Chief Building Official was appointed, by Bylaw, it is a statutory office, the job had specific requirements. Now, after the fact, it has more and different credentials. How logical is that?
*******************************

I receive comments which are nor relevant to posts. I don't publish them.

A recent comment was barely intelligible but I thought it may be from someone with English as a second language. If I didn't publish it, I felt I would discourage the person from participating in the conversation. I didn't want to do that.

********************
On my post on the spokesperson and speech writer position, Anonymous asked what was I babbling about..... Was I drinking at the time I wrote it.

I didn't publish that. I haven't received those kind of comments since I served Notice of Intent to Sue. I thought I recognised Councillor Mac Eachern's style of communication.

***********************

To make sense of this post,you have to read comments to previous posts. There's a way of setting
things up to make it easy to follow. But I don't know how.

No comments: