"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 29 January 2010

Truth and Consequences

A reader asks if there are consequences for "accusing" Councillors of being in a Conflict of Interest,

The writer probably watched the last Council meeting.

I moved the item of appointment of an Integrity Commissioner be removed from the Agenda. There was no seconder. The Item stayed .

When it came forward for debate, I declared a Conflict of Interest. I cited several factors which led me to believe it would be inappropriate for me and for six other members of council to discuss the appointment.

The Mayor promptly stated I had made a serious accusation.

See how it works in Morrisland.

The fact is, a councillor must decide for him or herself, if they have a Conflict of Interest.

Consider what I said. Litigation is in process involving myself and six Councillors.

Everyone knows about it.

It has a financial component.

The Mayor and five Councillors filed a Statement of Defence.

It has the same financial component.

With the exception of Councillors McRoberts and Collins Mrakas who refused to sign the complaint and repudiated it before the Integrity Commissioner and are not party to the suit either way, I believe that puts all the rest in a Conflict of Interest.

I declared. According to my understanding of the Act, it was necessary.

Responsibility to acknowledge a Conflict of Interest and refrain from influencing a vote where there is a financial advantage rests with the individual Councillor.

No-one else can do it for them

A Councillor is expected to state the reason and should be allowed to do so without themselves being accused of wrong-doing.

But not in MorrisLand .

Vengeance is mine, saith The Lordship.

No comments: