"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 24 December 2010

It's a Day Like Any Other

It's Christmas Eve and I'm tempted to go out and join the hysteria. I have no reason to do so. Our family gathering  happened last Sunday.  To-morrow, Christmas morning, I will  answer  a dozen phone calls, call my cousin in Scotland , then join  family for the rest of the day.

It will be nice. I will enjoy it fine. It will be a day like many another

My mind will not be occupied with sugar plums and dancing fairies. I will be thinking about  town business. I just can't help it.

I'm glad we passed the resolution effectively blocking funding for the law suit  by the Former Mayor
against three citizens. Our neighbours  were relieved of a great worry in time for Christmas

I'm aware of how the decision to launch the lawsuit  came about. New Councillors are not. I think they  and the public  have a right to  know  the former Council's  rationale ,when  the resolution we reversed on Tuesday, was originally passed.

I agreed to  support a  simple straighforward process  on Tuesday, with the understanding ,Council will meet in- camera in January to receive all  documentation  that led up to the decision we reversed.

 I gave Notice of Motion to waive solicitor/client privilege  and release the legal advice received by Council ..

If the motion is passed, everyone will   understand  how town staff  and other resources came to  be used for  what was always. , in my judgment, essentially  a private issue.

Councillors have been informed the cheque registry is available for scrutiny on the desk of the Mayor's administrative assistant.

It is my intention to take a gander at that early in the New Year.

Legal invoices will indicate exactly when the wheels started turning.

It will take a vote in Council to waive  privilege. It won't take that for me to get answers to my questions. Not any more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Evelyn:

Will you now take a week off from all this officious stuff, put your feet up on a hassock in front of the fire and read or knit or doze?

You deserve a break from it, and frankly so do we, from it and also from your recitals.

We would like to hear a story or two of yours, about your family, about your schooling, about remembrances of Scotland, before you came to Canada and became a stalwart politician.

To you and yours the very best wishes of the season and continued good health in the year to come.

Sprite