"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 10 June 2011

Halifax

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "I've Been Away":

How many members of council went to Halifax? And why were you one of them?

***************

I was one of them because I am an elected member of council.

For the almost half century I have been involved in the town's affairs, in and out of council, conference allowances have been a budget item.  Councillors can chose  to use the allowance or not.

Halifax  was the  location  of the Federation of Canadian Municipalities this year. Council members from the length and breadth of Canada  were in attendance to  participate in  workshops, study tours,  panel discussions, lectures and hopefully came  home with a wider perspective on municipal business.

I heard there were thirty-five hundred delegates. The Federation has developed contacts with municipal counterparts from developing nations. This year,  the highest international delegations ever attended the conference.  The Federation reaches out  and provides support wherever they can.

I used to attend a conference every year.  Last year I went to Ottawa. This year Halifax. My daughter Theresa takes holiday time from work to make it possible.

During the budget discussion this year, Councillors contemplated reducing the budget for conferences.It is never fully utilised.

I argued against that. Conferences are a valuable means for a Councillor to become informed and knowledgeable and better able to serve the community.

The final point I made in my argument. "The community benefits"

So, I went to Halifax. I enjoyed the conference. Study tours involved standing and a lot of walking, so I rented a car at my own expense and had  my own  tour early in the morning.  I  took a rented  scooter with me and discovered Halifax is a terrible place to get about on a scooter on public thoroughfares.

The hotel and conference centre are connected with pedways and elevators so I travelled  back and forth without going outside  and risking my neck on sloping sidewalks  and ill-designed cuts on the curbs. The little go-go scooter  had only one front wheel which proved to be easier to manoeuvre in tight spaces.

Councillors Chris Emanuel of Newmarket and Brenda Hogg, regional councillor  from  Richmond Hill were successful  candidates for the executive  with the help of our delegation.

The  Federation makes representation to the Federal government on behalf of municipalities.

Many programs involving financial assistance are  cost shared with provincial and federal governments .

The municipal level has input to senior levels through the Federation .

Neighbouring councillors on the executive can only be helpful to us. Councillor Hogg is a Regional Councillor. I worked with Councillor Emmanuel on the joint fire committee for four years. Both Councillors are committed to the community's well-being.

Conferences are pleasant experiences as well as useful.Meeting people with the same interest and passion is always enjoyable. Becoming familiar with a city and checking out what makes it great can only be a bonus.

A Councillor is not required to attend conferences. There is no examination at the end of  term to determine  whether one has learned  from experience.

There is only the judgment of an individual councillor on how best to serve.And ultimately .the judgment of the electorate on who will serve best.

If there is enough money left in my conference allowance, I may also attend the Ontario Municipal Conference in London later this year.

No comments: