"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 19 August 2016

ON-LINE BUYER BE-WARY

I've been dealing with a problem since March. I think it's worth sharing. 

A $60, payment was made in error to a seldom used MasterCard. I have little use for credit cards. I was  solicited in Superstore for this one. 

A credit can only be redeemed by making a charge against the card. I charged a gas purchase ,a hospital parking ticket and still had a small credit balance. 

I needed a moisturizing cream and did something I've purposely never done before. I gave my credit card number. 

A free trial was  being promoted on-line with payment of a small shipping charge. Ellen de Generis was an advocate.  I do not expect to turn back the clock to reverse the effect of decades of aging but for minimum cost and having the credit, I decided it was worth taking a chance. Whoopee !!!

My first statement showed higher shipping charges than cited but it was  still not a big deal. I made no 
issue. The second statement had charges of $260. and interest on purchases.

I started out on the first phone expedition to correct whatever error had occurred. 

It's an experience in itself. MasterCard's representative explained the free sample shipping container had fine print  attached. Dis-satisfaction with the product required return within fourteen days.

If not returned within the time, a contract would be entered , products would be shipped monthly and charges applied to the MasterCard account. Even as we spoke, new charges had been recorded and the statement balance was over $530.

MasterCard's rep was sympathetic to my plight. Eighty per cent of all client disputes relate to 
the same problem,she said. Which would seem to indicate something amiss.   Unfortunately, they could not correct the problem. 

I didn't see it that way. 

A request to speak to a supervisor required my phone number and a return call within forty-eight hours. I did not choose that either. I called the Ontario Ministry of Consumer and Commercial affairs 
to file a complaint.. The shipments were from Cambridge,London and the last from a North York P.O.Box. 

Ministry advice  was to contact the company selling the product. 

I did that. The contact was in South Carolina. The "subscription" was cancelled and a twenty-five per cent refund was  promised. 

My next statement showed a reduced balance and was followed by a notice the outstanding payment of $58. required  the account  be referred to an external collection agency. 

I  composed  a letter outlining my experience.

 I have never been so well off as to afford to be in debt. 

I made another call. Told the story one more time. Thanked everyone for their help and asked the name and address of Presidents of Superstore and Master Card each to receive copies of the letter. 

Scant  hours later,I received a phone call. The upshot of which, the problem is resolved. 

It took from March until August but all's well that ends well and it never hurts to be persistent. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Preying on easy targets, such as the elderly.

Anonymous said...

Such is the price of vanity, I suppose.