"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 22 March 2008

The Blog and Songs of Praise

When I started this enterprise sixteen months ago, I had no idea where it might lead. I start a post and the theme takes its own direction. Watching reader numbers grow became a preoccupation. The object was to share my experience but I eventually had to remind myself the entire community is not connected to the internet. With bravado, I had declared myself independent of Letters to the Editor but I discovered my readers were slow in coming..

I had to wrestle with the validity of old political maxims. How relevant are they in THE AGE OF BLOG? A post is political but also personal. I thought people would visit only if they were interested in what I had to say . I hoped there would be feedback but expected it to be civil.

I soaked up everything I heard or read about blogging. I was amazed by the number of journalists doing it. One of them said it was a tyrant. I didn't understand. Then I realized that would be about advertising revenue.

Our council has settled into a pattern of alignment. Actually, it started.that way. And so The Blog has became more defined.At first, I was half afraid of its power and freedom. The desperation to shut it down became obvious.The temptation to push it to its limits became stronger.

This Blog may be struggling in its infancy but it is certainly a powerful political tool and I believe its future is secure.

Then came the abuse. Was it a surprise? . Why read my blog if it infuriates? Why should I give space in my place to people who clearly do not hold me high in their affections. My first instinct was to respond in kind. I am nobody's idea of a sweet old grandmother. Even my grandchildren will vouch for that. Nothing in my career would suggest such a thing.

But Heather Sisman argues the negative has its place. If The Blog is to reflect Our Town and its Business, it should be the whole of it. People would not come into my home and say those things. They would not walk up to me in a public place and hurl such insults. But I am aware of those who do it in their not so private conversations. I do not complain. I do not explain. I work harder..

Songs of Praise are not a normal part of any Real Political Repertoire. The good, bad and the ugly may deserve to be seen alongside each other in the clear light of day.We will try that too and see how it goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"When you're young is when you're the least jaded and I think that's when you've got the greatest potential to actually make a real difference."
Joseph Lavoie