"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 8 March 2008

Just for the Record

Following the council meeting, the other newspaper reported I voted in favour of the Westhill Development proposal. In the interest of keeping the facts straight, here is what I had to say about the matter:

My experience goes back a long way, since before there was a Planning Act - from when politicians were wined and dined and treated to private box hospitality at hockey and football games ,in order to curry favour when applications were made for development. It was as a result of ongoing scandalous implications, the Planning Act was created .Then everyone would know the rules and that they were being treated accordingly.

The Planning Act sets out steps municipalities are compelled to follow. No ifs ands or buts There are statutory procedures. We have followed those procedures. I support and understand the concerns of the residents and I'm glad they have the resources to go before the OMB to plead their case.

The OMB has come under a lot of criticism of late because they made decisions not always in accordance with those the politicians might wish to make, but they have prevailed and I believe they have served our community well. Considering all the technical expertise we have listened to, I am very glad there is another body that has the responsibility to listen to the arguments and measure the substance both legal and technical.

This decision will not be made by this council. I accept the reports from our staff that the application/proposal is in accordance with the Official Plan. I also accept the concerns about serious outstanding issues that have to be resolved as part of a site plan approval process. I am not going to vote in favour of this motion because I believe we should not be giving weight to one or another. The instruments are available to ensure an impartial decision which is where I would like to see it rest.

I believe the resolution to support the request of Mr. Northey has the potential of incurring costs for the taxpayers of Aurora and I will be voting against the resolution.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness that you are the only coward on council! You continue to make other members of council look good by comparison.