"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 21 March 2008

An Email from a Resident

The following email was received from a young resident of Aurora who first contacted me when he was in high school. Now he's away at university, but still follows the Town's politics, and keeps in touch. I have removed his name, simply for his own privacy.

Hello Ms. Buck,


It seems like ages since I wrote you last, but after reading the last several entries I thought I couldn't help but comment. I haven't been in Aurora as frequently as I usually am- I am away at University studying Honors Political Science.

Anyway, I couldn't help but share my opinion on a frequent theme you write on. From my position as an ignorant constituent, I get the impression that your views on disclosure vary from that of general counsel's. Forgive me if I am wrong, but given that politics as I am studying it is a process of open forum, why does counsel in general seem so opposed to the concept of clarity?

I can't but help sometimes when I read your blog... especially when I come across comments like this:

Anonymous Said...
"Thank goodness that you are the only coward on council!"

It is so ironic that someone has the nerve to make the claim that you are a coward and yet they are too afraid to leave their name... The irony of it...

Anyway, the drama aside, I actually do have one particular question for you. I am writing a paper for a political analysis class, and the focus of that paper is Aurora's council... One of the main issues that voters in Aurora complain about is the fact that council at face value (in general) is very 'secretive' and particularly quarrelsome. I was wondering if you could place your finger on any particular event (not person... I wouldn't ask that or put you in that position) which you felt was of significant impact or influence in leading to today's 'situation' (I know that is general but I believe that you know what I mean by that term) with council?

Thanks very much for continuing your blog... continue the conversation, because there are those of us that are listening, and come time for next election, it will be us who have listened carefully that will be able to voice our concerns and hopefully have something of an impact on the political process.

If you ever need an extra pair of hands during your next campaign, please let me know... I would be more than willing to help!

Yours sincerely,

An Aurora Resident

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems a bit strange that someone supporting you and complaining about another not leaving a name remains anonymous. Hmm...

Heather said...

Hi Anonymous - I was the one who removed the student's name. He's now a regular correspondent however.

Unknown said...

Actually I really don't mind my identity being revealed if in order to do so it clears any question of the legitimacy of my existence... so feel free to contact me through this account which will forward to my main email address.

Thanks!

Stewart

Evelyn Buck said...

Thanks Stewart - I didn't want to post your name WITHOUT your permission. Happy Easter.

Anonymous said...

No last name?

Unknown said...

Having worked in IT for the past 5 years, I know better than to leave my last name lying in the open on a public web forum without any particular need; that said, if you feel the need to contact me directly I can be reached at stewartp@aci.on.ca