"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 6 August 2009

And Frightend a Little Mouse under Her Chair

I went to the Town Hall this morning. Brianna, a lovely young woman reporter from Rogers Cable came along with her camera.

Yesterday, I received notification a decision on the much publicised complaint of a few weeks ago, has been made by the Integrity Commissioner. As procedure requires, it had been directed to the Director of Corporate Services to forward a copy to the Complainants and the Councillor whose "Conduct is of Concern" Moi.

I sent an e-mail to the Deputy-Clerk requesting my copy. It was not forthcoming. Instead I received an e-mail response. Three clauses of procedure were cited and I was informed a copy would be provided in a "Special" meeting called by the Mayor to be held behind closed doors.

The problem was, the clauses cited did not conform to the plans cited.

Procedure requires a copy of the decision will be forwarded to the parties. It will be presented at the "next council meeting". It does not mean "forwarded " at some arbitrary date or during a "special" meeting called by the Mayor to deal with the matter behind closed doors.

So, today, I went to the Town Hall to obtain my copy. I asked at reception to speak to the Deputy-clerk . She had received the communication from Mr.Nitkin. I thought therefore, it could reasonably be assumed she was Acting Director in the absence of the Director who would have received the communication if she were not on vacation. Well somebody had to receive such an important communication.

But that was yesterday. Today, I waited for the deputy-clerk to emerge from the inner sanctum. And I waited and waited and chatted to Brianna about the matter.

After a while, Mr. Cooper who is Town Solicitor and Acting Chief Administrative Officer emerged from his side of the sanctum and passed by without acknowledging moi on his way to the Mayor's Office.

He returned after a bit .... still with his head down and crossed behind the reception desk. I could see him through the glass. He visited with the deputy clerk.He emerged again and returned to the Mayor's office. Eventually, he came out once more and approached myself and Brianna.

"Cameras are not allowed in the Town Hall, Councillor Buck." he said.

"Is that right, Mr. Cooper " I said. "I hadn't heard that before"

Brianna and her camera stayed.

He informed me... "Ms Janzen, Deputy-Clerk has not been appointed Acting Director of Corporate Services , therefore she does not have the authority to provide you with a copy of the decision."

I smiled.

So ....I was being refused a copy of the decision to which I am entitled.

No matter.

It doesn't take an Einstein to figure ..

The complaint has not been accepted.... Ergo....it has been dismissed.

The flap is on.

A "Special" meeting has been called by the Mayor for five o'clock this evening. No agenda provided.No purpose stated.

At six o'clock Roger's Cable will broadcast the news. The complaint has been dismissed.

But the plan undoubtedly was ..... if they dis-credit the decision- maker, before the decision is known, they can not then be accused of dis-crediting the decision because it dis-credits the decision they made when they made the decision to dis-credit moi.

I never laid a finger on them.

They did it all themselves.

How sweet it is !

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, if you didn't receive a copy of the decision, how do you know it was dismissed? Further, doesn't the Deputy Clerk act as "Town Clerk" in her absence? Who cares about the Director of Corporate Services title, it's the Town Clerk that has the statutory powers, not the Director and I think in the Municipal Act they must at all times have someone appointed in that position. So really, does it matter that she wasn't acting as Director, she statutorily should be acting as Town Clerk. Makes sense to me!! 228 of the Municipal Act? Oh to heck with it all, no one is ever going to clean up the mess this Town is in. Don't you ever feel like everything is an exercise in futility?

Anonymous said...

Morris just makes the rules as she goes. Rather than Rogers cable tv, how about W5? This is a scandal waiting to be told or rather a sideshow gone bad. You need to talk to all the media you can to uncover the incompetence of this regime!

Anonymous said...

Where's the proof. Didn't look like that was the story I saw one First Local. Did I miss something?

Anonymous said...

The complaint has been dismissed as without cause?

Well, that leaves me to say, "Now let's go and celebrate."

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous at the first of the blog..... give me a break when the "Special Meeting" was called what did you think it would be. If it was in favour of the majority of Council they would have been singing from the top of the mountain, did not happen what more did you need to know what happened? Go back to living under your log!