"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Sunday 23 August 2009

I'm Back

I rented a Go-Go scooter and went. The scooter went into the car trunk in four pieces. It's not a big machine. I felt like a Shriner in a Parade but it got me to and fro and round about the Capital in capital form. I stayed at the Marriott .The conference was at the Westin. That meant I tootled up Spark Street and over the hill in front of the Parliament Buildings every morning on my way to work (so-to-speak)

On Wednesday, the last day, I wound my way on the paths in the garden behind the Parliament Buildings .It was a lovely fresh morning and the crowds had already gathered. I've never been inside the buildings. There never seems to be enough time.

Before I left home I contemplated buying a lap-top to provide a running commentary on the conference. I sought a particular model with a price in mind. But the variety overwhelmed me and prices were significant too. Discretion became the better part of valour and decided nothing should be done in a hurry.

There's always something to learn at conferences. I attended workshops. Listened to a number of speeches. Spoke to a few delegates. Saw two former Aurora CAO's and one current
I added up how many we have had altogether. Four were not there. That adds up to seven since the position was first created more than twenty years ago.

Scott Somerville, an interim in the post, told me CAO's tend not to stay more than four or five years. According to our experience then, that's about right.

Scott was appointed when a former CAO left on a month's notice. We were in the process of amalgamating Hydro with Newmarket. We needed someone with proven experience and Scott had that.He had been with Vaughan when Markham and Vaughan amalgamated and bought out Richmond Hill.

We were also not being successful in filling the CAO's position for mostly political reasons. We "invited" someone to leave a position and join our administration. He had not applied. He agreed after more or less writing his own contract.

The contract was for five years with a protection clause if the arrangement went sour. It did.

There are 444 municipalities in Ontario and 444 municipal clerks and deputy clerks.

Around twenty-five per cent have CAO's. When the CAO is absent, the Clerk is appointed Acting CAO.

But when the Clerk is absent, the Deputy-Clerk is the Acting-Clerk. The Clerk can do the CAO's job. The CAO cannot do the Clerk's job.

I was hoping to find someone at the conference who had experience with a Code of Conduct. No luck. With about 6 municipalities out of 444 having such an instrument, it wasn't surprising.

Toronto is not an Association member. They were always threatening to pull out. Membership dues are based on population.Their dues were a large percentage of Association resources. They figured they should have matching clout. It seems they finally made good on their threat and cancelled their membership. The Association has survived and provides a worth-while program.

It's not the same without Toronto though. There's a dynamism missing. They should come back.

Even if it's just so the rest of us can keep track of what they are up to. Outside Toronto, we need to know we are getting our fair share.

I'm not saying "equal". Just that it should be proportionately fair.

Tootling around on a scooter gave a pretty good sense of the state of things in the National Capital.Last time I was there everything was spic and span. Not so any more. I'm probably examining with a critical eye but roads and sidewalks are not in good shape. Weeds are sprouting in the most unlikely places.

I remember when Spark Street was converted to the first Pedestrian Mall. Tiles and interlocking stone were used. I have no idea when it was last re-done but I am under- impressed with the condition.

The drop in the sidewalks for the disabled looks like it was broken off with a hammer and chisel
.
I am not criticising. It's a sign of great burdens, tremendous wear and tear and a lack of maintenance resources.

I don't know nuthin' about their tax rates.

Toronto's infrastructure is shabby as well. Their average taxes are a thousand dollars less than our average. It just doesn't make sense not to protect infrastructure investment.

But Toronto has a Code of Conduct with runaway costs and Councillors who use it to clobber each other.

5 comments:

weary taxpayer said...

It's too bad that we are not using our resources toward repairing our deteriorating roads etc. My car hates the drive along Wellington Street West as it clunks and groans over every pothole and bump in the road.
Perhaps we could actually spend our taxes on things like this instead of on hiring/firing/packaging off/hiring Integrity Commissioners and senior town staff at a phenominal rate.
What do you think?

Anonymous said...

whoa boy we missed you!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

You think you are heaving a hard time in your car on Wellington? Try it on your bike. The condition of the road forces cyclists to ride in the middle of the road. A lot of other roads are really bad as well. So bad in fact, that I've had multiple fillings crack under impact in my mouth when biking on town's roads! My dentist loves it.

Broderick Epps said...

Isn't Wellington a "Regional" road?

Anonymous said...

What about Vandorf east of Bayview ? It has to be one of the worst roads in town. I don't care who's responsible for it, it needs to be fixed regardless.