"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 12 September 2009

The Evelyn Buck Litigation Account

Has been established. It turned out to be complicated and took several phone calls and visits but finally we have an account

It's at the Bank of Nova Scotia in the Canadian Tire Shopping Centre.

We are not a charitable organisation. So it can't be that kind of an account. It's not personal. So it can't be that. It 's a business account...kind of.

The important thing is it must be seen for what it is; a fund established for a specific purpose and used for no other.

It must have three names on the account. Two signatures must be on cheques. None of which can be mine or my uncle's.Which is fortunate because I no longer have an uncle. Not here, nor anywhere.

I asked the bank manager about a name for the account. he said; "You can call it anything as long as it doesn't offend people."

I told him someone had suggested "Justice for Evelyn" .

He promptly replied; " that might offend people"

Momentarily I reflected; "what does he mean by that "

I cannot sign cheques but I can make deposits. Contributors cannot directly deposit to the bank account.

Grace Marsh, Ken Banks and myself and whoever else in the loop will funnel cheques through.

Grace is in charge of the cheque book .She will be guiding me in whatever I need to know. Grace knows all about financial stuff.

If or when we find a convenient location for donations to be dropped off, I will post it.

I've never done anything like this before. I'm not sure anyone has. If it wasn't for Grace, I would be feeling awkward.

I have no idea how long things will take to conclude. Nor what the cost will be. If funds are left over, they will be donated to a worthy cause.

Ken is busy all the time supporting wherever support is needed. Ken told us how, with the help of Staples, a thousand back to school kits have been made up and distributed where there is a need.That's a lot of work. And a lot of help.

I very much appreciate all the strong support already indicated whether with resources or encouragement.

Together, we will take our town back.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for finally posting this. I'll be in touch in person about making a donation. Best regards!

Anonymous said...

Would you please provide specific steps someone needs to follow to make a donation if "contributors cannot directly deposit to the bank account"?

How do we provide financial support?

Grace Marsh said...

I'm happy to help. Cheques and/or cash can be dropped off to me if anyone wishes. They will be safely deposited, duly recorded, and Evelyn will be provided a list.

Elizabeth Bishenden said...

I think everyone should know this info. Make your cheque payable to the "Evelyn Buck Litigation Fund". I expect that cash in an envlope labelled with the same would do just fine.

Anonymous said...

Someone I know works for a provincial agency called "Ontario Works" It is an agency (you can look it up on the internet) that provides support for people in municipalities who have fallen on hard times--helps them secure work, help for seniors, pays benefits while you are off work and deals with the food banks in the province. This person asked the mayor about this agency and she claimed that she had never heard of it. It was then explained to the mayor what this agency does. Her reply "Oh, we don't have people like that in this town." RESIGN NOW PHYLLIS--YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY LEFT.

Anonymous said...

This all very interesting. I am understanding that you are accepting donations but you are not soliciting anyone. I gather people have financially offered to help and you have set this account up as a result. I think it is wonderful that people have offered you their support. The GOS needs to be held accountable and you have been the chosen one (by their own doing)to do the job. People need to understand that what the GOS did was not anybodies job to do. They had no authority to publish allegations against you. SILLY PEOPLE! THEY SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER!