"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 27 April 2011

A Maelstorm

It's how I think of the  last four years  of council. Certainly, it felt like I was in the eye .

It's natural to think  most  residents were paying attention. But I've been in politics too long for my imagination to take such a flight of fancy.

I  did however believe  candidates in the election were familiar with the  issues engendered over the term .

I was wrong .  I am not alone.

Last Wednesday, after the All- Candidates meeting  and the crowd had thinned out,a resident came around the table to introduce himself . He wanted to thank me for my stand on water rates increases. He could not understand why other councillors  had not joined me.

He spoke  of a conversation he had with his wife. If the increases went through, they would have  to sell their home in Aurora .They do not want to do that but they would have no choice.

He said he worked hard in the election for a particular candidate He is very disappointed.

Couldn't understand how he could have been so wrong. He is waiting for the opportunity to tell the elected member  how he feels.

He is not alone in his sense of betrayal.

I've  been hearing it  since the election.

We are  still a hundred times better off  than before.

But Oh My ...

How candidates in our election could remain so sublimely oblivious to the issues that infuriated  taxpayers during the last term is not credible. But it's true.

Last night, Council finally understood, something is seriously wrong  and unequal  with the town's calculation and collection of  water rates and other  charges.

But the Bylaw to impose the new rates  passed anyway.

They are not honest, They are not equal. They do not stand up to scrutiny.

Correcting them would transfer costs to the budget that sets the tax rate,

We passed the budget anyway.

It is the first budget of the new Council.

It does not commend them.

.

No comments: