"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 15 March 2014

All Join In The Chorus

I am advised nasties flourish when they are fed . ... Ignored....they vanish.

I think of the  movie Ghost with Deborah Winger and  Whoopi Goldberg. 

Two  scenes of  awful  snarling and groaning emanating from shadows  and black, ghoulish shapeless forms  rising from the subterranean.

I assume the advice is ,  if  unpublished ,  discouragement sets in .... they simply give up
the ghost and vanish.

Sounds like a plan. 

In politics, when you do what you think is right, you can't avoid having some  people mad at you  some of the time. 

When  residents from a  hood come out  shouting and demanding and reminding you they vote ,they don't like to be reminded they're not alone and  decisions need to reflect  best interest of the whole .

They get what they want from the cringing majority  some of the time but none of  time do  any of them look good in the process .  They always need somebody to blame .

I have a broad back.  From taking more whacks than pats.

When I was very young I  took my revenge with the cutting  phrase.

It's a peculiarly Scottish trait. 

I  discovered there was no real satisfaction in wounding people. Especially if they  were not-equipped   
to fight back.

I would be filled with shame and remorse

Half my life, I struggled with that conflict .

Then I discovered politics. I knew I had come home. 

I had to learn the discipline but the fight was  always legitimate.

My foot was finally on the right path . 

I was a happy warrior.

Then Blog came into my life. 

That  discipline also  has been an on-going learning  process. 

A community continues to grow around this new outlet in our lives. 

But we do have  gremlins.

I've tried to discern but there's no choice between veiled  and real .

They are all just plain mean and nasty.

So....I  accept the advice.  No longer will blog provide sustenance to aliens

Benefit of the doubt will no longer be an option. 

The knell will fall. 

The finger will poke .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your soul ! Have at it !

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should allow yourself the license to stick up an occasional one that reflects a particular mind-set just to let us know what your in-mail looks like ? It must be quite colourful.

Anonymous said...

People should know that while you may not wish to wound you never back away from a fight. I recall a lawyer from town, who was on council for a term, took a sharp stab at you in the local paper. Unfortunately for him, he forgot some comments he made to you that cast Aurora citizens in a bad light. The following week (in the paper) he was reminded of those comments that made him look foolish. I think he was wounded or at least stunned because we never heard from him again.

Then there was our old friend George Rust-e-Eye (sp.) - a high profile municipal lawyer. Some one on council, it was alleged, leaked something to the press. I suspect our last mayor selected you as the culprit. Rust-e-Eye's job was to use his skills to shake you down and take the fall. Sufficient to say he failed and likely told the mayor there is no chance of a shake-down with this councillor.

Broderick Epps said...

Actually Deborah Winger was not in ghosts
It was Demi Moore

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Mr Epps. I only recall Whoopi & Patrick.