"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 30 August 2014

Sticks and Stones

If someone uses my blog  and posts a comment intended to convey a particular message.and  asks me to publish it.

I do as he/she hopes I will.

 I analyze  the comment. I find I  cannot accept what is written. I say so.

I explain   To the writer and the readers why I cannot accept the account of the event recounted in the comment.

Am I calling him a liar. Or  am I simply saying  I am not persuaded that happened as you.
 told it.

I feel no obligation to a pass on to my readers a story I do not believe myself.

Am I calling a faceless individual a liar. Or am I simply exercising my right in stating my disbelief.

Furthermore the story is perfectly pointless.

No councillor has argued the forty year old pre-fabricated building designed by the manufacturer to meet the town's needs is adequate or in sufficiently  good repair.

So  why does anonymous  wish to deflect attention from the real controversy.; design over-build, location  of  site, cost of remediating site,late-timing of decision and other pertinent. factors.

If  a supporter cares to address these  questions and justify the late decision I would certainly be glad to publish that argument.

There's room here for a  difference in judgement.

Including why they felt obliged to fill  the Council vacancy in time to  marshal another vote for their side.

And set up an elaborate process encouraging eighteen residents to accept. an invitation to
compete when  no competition was ever intended.

I sit  in the ring itself.

 I see all the tricks and dodges and  repeat strategies. I have the blog to give the play by play.

Social media is something to which today's politicians have yet to become accustomed.

 I do believe it is here to stay

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "real controversy" points are all a matter of opinion. That's your perspective - see, what you state is open to analysis, just like the 'rain bucket' commenter.

Anonymous said...

It was an extremely expensive way to deal with a recognized need to improve the existing situation.

Anonymous said...

I doubt if you are going to receive any comment dealing with the cost or timing. I think there was a need to do something, produce something, as this term draws to a close. If you think about it, running might be a bit awkward if you had just ongoing tussles with trees, towers, a couple of beer, heritage ideas, fab lab ideas, university bids.....etc ... etc.

Anonymous said...

I liked the ' rain bucket ' story & believe it to be accurate for something that happened quite a few years ago. It would be my guess that the serious leaking described was rectified during that period. It could not have continued as I know from my own experience. The lack of a washroom facility for women is something else entirely.

Anonymous said...

@16:21
You're forgetting the playground equipment & the salt removal system that the staff guy said would not actually " remove salt ".

Anonymous said...

I am back-tracking a bit here. There was an open letter in the Auroran to the town about the demand for an all-year tennis facility. Do you, as a councillor, get to see the reply ? And do we, as those who read the letter, get to see it too?
Or is that micro-managing ?