"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 1 February 2010

Misery Loves Company

I have a terrible cold and I'm miserable. I posted twice yesterday. Left them up for a couple of hours and removed them. They didn't feel right.

I can do that .

The posts were reactions to comments. They were quick, cutting and I think, gratuitously unkind.

I can do that.

I didn't read them before I removed them. I can be incisive to make a political point or insert a stinging detail to complete a picture. But my gut instinct tells me when I've gone too far. Usually before I post

Robert The Bruce continues the argument that it is "WRONG" for me to write letters to the editor.

I disagree.

By writing letters after a council decision has been made , he contends I am criticising those who came to a different conclusion.

I don't do that.

I take responsibility for my judgement .

Failure to agree doesn't mean I am right and others are wrong.

It simply means.... we do not agree.

Robert accuses me of accusing him of elder abuse.

An elder knows that insult well, It's not unfamiliar.

The Bruce is entitled to his opinion.that I should not be on the Council because I am no longer relevant. It is probably shared. It doesn't matter a hill of beans though.

Whether a citizen is elected is still for voters to decide. There is no should or shouldn't. Only votes count.

Whether letters to the editor are acceptable, is a decision for the editor to make and readers to read.

I do not send letters to The Banner . They believe, they have the right to edit letters.

I don't.

That's a decision for me to make

No comments: