"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 3 February 2010

Ruminations . Feb 2010

I'm still sick and trying not to feel sorry for myself. Forty years ago, I would have been content to stay in bed. I've noticed elderly folk are not inclined to spend time that way. It's too precious.

I could watch television. But what does that have to do with anything.Nothing is as good as it used to be and it should be better.

Reading isn't an option. There's a headache lurking behind my eyes and I don't want to encourage it.

There are plenty of issues to elucidate but some are harder work than others.

There's a window above my computer. The middle third of my maple tree fills it. Behind the maple. there's a silver birch in Frank Martin's back yard that still has it's leaves. I remember when he planted it. Across the lane, there's another maple that's in better shape than mine. I think it grew from a seedling off my tree..

If we didn't pull them up or cut them down, there would be a forest of maples around us .All of them from my tree. My oldest boys planted it years ago. We didn't even know what it was. All the gardening books said trees should be the first things planted because they take longest to mature.

There's nothing much going on in my tree right now. Usually there's a pair of squirrels chasing
up and down and swinging out and biting each others tails for fun. It must be for fun, why else would they hang out together .

My tree is nearly fifty years old. Some branches have lost bark. It means a feast for the birds. Chickadees dart in and run up and down the vertical branches pecking busily. Wood-
peckers stick around summer and winter. Where I was growing up, wood-peckers were the stuff of story-books.

With all the branches and all the space you'd think the squirrels would give each other some. But no, they're always touching each other, as if they need the warmth.Chipmunks,when you see them, are forever streaking across the wires as fast as they can . Which is fast

If I go into my inbox, there will probably be another really nasty anonymous comment,a third to-day. I shall obliterate it with a mighty swat. They neither surprise nor disturb me. But I have trouble understanding .

I believe the Mayor and Councillor Mac Eachern believe what they do is right. They certainly put a lot of thought , energy and planning into accomplishing their objectives. Without fail, they have council majority support and often everyone but myself voting in favour.

I am undeniably elderly. Some argue, no longer relevant. They say other uncomplimentary things about me as well.

If it's all true and the majority view, why does it upset them so. If I take a different position on any given issue, why do they feel the need to provide an explanation, and not a nice one, for what I think and how I cast my vote?

Oops! for minute there, it looked like the sun was coming out but it's gone again and snow is laconically drifting down.

I'm glad I'm in the warm.


.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might have something to do with using taxpayers' time and money to sue people who have a different vision than yours, those whom you regularly treat in a way that you don't like being treated, from what you've written.

That's what I hear from my circle of friends.
They also have strong views about the way you abuse volunteers. Actually that's the deal breaker for me.

Anonymous said...

You are undeniably elderly, especially since you say so yourself. There no line that links elderly with no longer useful however. Keep telling us like it is! Get well soon.

Anonymous said...

Elderly highlights experience,
Elderly highlights maturity,
Elderly highlights wisdom...

It's hard to have principles, but trust that there are those who appreciate you.

Anonymous said...

Some people aren't relevant regardless of age.

Anonymous for a Reason said...

Look after yourself.
Don't let the bastards get you down. They aren't worth a toss.

Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...

Might have something to do with using taxpayers' time and money to sue people who have a different vision than yours, those whom you regularly treat in a way that you don't like being treated, from what you've written.

That's what I hear from my circle of friends.
They also have strong views about the way you abuse volunteers. Actually that's the deal breaker for me.

February 3, 2010 4:08 PM


Hey, I recognize that person! It's the Return of the RMA (Resident Morris Apologist)!

Where have you been? Anywhere nice? Gosh, we haven't seen you over at the Aurora Citizen blog since... oh, let's see... it must be at least since the letters of intent were filed.

Isn't that funny that you stopped posting when those that you so steadfastly defended (against the prevailing opinion) rec'd those lawyer's letters. Gee, it's almost as if you were personally connected to the Morris politburo and were instructed 'to cease and desist' your AC activity.

But now you're back. Huh...

Anonymous said...

Reply to Anonymous said... 4:08 pm

That circle of friends of yours.

How often do you gather around the cauldron anyway?

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous for a Reason - don't let them get you down! You are relevant to me and I am not elderly - they aren't. You listen to what the people of Aurora want - they don't. You understand the rules of order - they especially don't. Keep on doing what you are doing.

White Knight said...

Age has nothing to do with relevance.
I feel rather sad that we don't live in a culture or society that reveres elders and respects the experience and wisdom that they have gathered from life. If more of you (and young people) were around in prominent positions we would be a lot better off than with the middle aged mediocrity that we are putting up with now.

Anonymous said...

The nice thing about being elder, is the wisdom and knowledge, something I wish and wish many had at my age and the world would be a better place. Stay warm, that sun will be coming soon. Winters can be depressing at times, especially when it is cold. Hope you are better. Anna [Living in Aurora Blogger)