"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 13 March 2010

It Is A Puzzlement

I always anticipate the perspective I present in this blog will not be well-received by Mayor Morris, Councillor MacEachern and their loyal followers.

I am convinced, they are convinced, their decisions are without flaw. I also think they are confident of the people's confidence. Why else would they do what they do.....over and over ?

My intrigue lies in their reaction to an opposite and often solitary view.

A definite disconnect exists between us about the meaning of politics

For me, it's about glorying in the freedom to take a position and proclaim it, whenever and wherever the opportunity arises. And about stimulating interest in public affairs with an alternate perspective.

From their reaction, it 's evident the Mormac regime does not appreciate my modest efforts to "follow my bliss". That's a quote from the late Joseph Campbell, a modern philosopher and a renowned author on world religions.

It's a given, if I write something unfavourable, a reaction will follow. But not open and direct and never in the form of reasoned argument.

A small child could advise them, being nice to me, would make it difficult for me to do what I do best.

I chose to be nice at the beginning of the term. I gave it the good old college try. Over the years I acquired some skills in that direction. I even tried humour to lighten the atmosphere.

After eight months I realised those particular talents were inadequate to the task. I surrendered to my less jovial but I confess more natural characteristics. Everybody has them. Some are just more easily disciplined than others.

So, it's a given, the terrible twins leave no stone unturned to curtail my efforts.

They do have power. They take as much pleasure in that as I do in freedom.

I leave it to readers to imagine how the power might be used or abused.

While certain of limits to my freedom, they are equally sure there's no limit to their power.

They keep on trying.

It's yet another level of dis-connect.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are they up to now? What's their latest tactic?