"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 23 March 2010

The Story Continues

I never know how a post is going to evolve. I sit down at the computer. Sometimes it's complete in my mind before I start. Sometimes it 's a hazy idea that has to work its way out. Sometimes it starts clear then takes off in its own direction. And sometimes it's a surprise.

The last two posts are part of a whole.

My daughter Theresa came home to live a couple of years ago. We have a familiar routine. Much like my childhood.

Every day my grandparents would settle in the afternoon, side by side, Grampa in his rocking chair with pipe and tobaccoand the Daily Express, a labour-oriented newspaper. Grannie, with a book, or a rug she was hooking, in her big comfy chair, much like the one I have now. A cheerful fire burned in the grate.

It was wartime. Two aunts, my older sister and my mother came home from work at different times. Each had a story to tell of the day's events, complete with characters,quotes, side-splitting laughter, and "the cheek of it"

Two married aunts visited; Mary on Monday and Jean on Saturday. Characters and events in their lives were part of the collegiality that was the family.

There was no television. But life was never dull. I concluded long since, it was a feature of our Irish oral culture.

Grampa never had anything to say. He was Scottish. He was also the only man in the house.But his shoulders shook with laughter along with the rest.

It lives on in my house.Theresa tells me about her day and reads my daily post. And we chat .

Last night I was ironing. After she read the post she said with a smile;

" I wouldn't be surprised if you hear from Mr. Rust D'Eye, asking you to stop citing his name"

I felt an unexpected surge of anger.

" I hope he does " I said. "it will give me the opportunity to tell him what I think of his conduct in the Council Chamber that night "

Unknown to myself, Mr Rust D'Eye had been summoned to the meeting and instructed by the Mayor.

Under no other circumstances, would he have engaged me in that conversation in that place at that time.Nor did he have the right then.

No social, legal, moral or ethical authority allowed him to engage me in that conversation. Let alone attempt to persuade me, I should not attend the business of the Council to which I have been elected and within which I have equal authority to any other member.

No vote authorised Mr.Rust D'Eye be retained. No resolution instructed him to do what he did.

Nothing more than instructions from the Mayor, acting without Council authority, using public funds to accomplish a purpose which had nothing to do with the municipality's interest and everything to do with the political intent of herself and Councillors MacEachern's and Gaertner, to destroy by legal means, if that's what it took, a political adversary; a part of the body which is Aurora Council. .

Looking back on it now, it seems the rot set in when, behind closed doors, Council authorised the Mayor to retain legal counsel to pursue action against former Mayor and political adversary for non-existent wrong-doing It took two years, two lawyers, unshared communications, unknown fees paid from the public purse before that effort was finally abandoned.

That's partly what caused Councillor Grace Marsh to abandon her commitment. Not just the threat to professional reputation and livelihood .

It was abundant experience in politics and my own confidence to manage that made me slow to realise exactly what I was dealing with.

I have this simple political philosophy;

If somebody does you dirt, don't fret .... Watch and wait.
When opportunity presents...and it always does ...you will know it the minute you see it.

Nothing in my experience allowed me to grasp the significance of lawyers, recruited at public expense, to service one side of the political spectrum. .

It was beyond my ken.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats high to you enter, choice look ahead in behalf of more interrelated articles soon as its anecdote of my choice question to read.

Anne said...

Is the above post by Anonymous 11:16 from Steven Granger? I notice he posts comments a lot.

Anonymous said...

The sentence structure seems about right with the proper sprinkling of eight cylinder words, must be the Lone Granger