"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 12 March 2010

Reading Week

I have this huge stack of pink paper. Actually, more than one. It's all confidential stuff. I need to sort out what to keep and what to shred. It means I have to read it...all of it.

It's a huge undertaking. But now I have a filing cabinet. I can maintain a system. Eh!

The last document I read was a memorandum from Shelley Pohjola, former town solicitor. It was directed to Councillor MacEachern. There were many pages, Case law from several aspects of the question was cited. It was an impressive body of work. Undoubtedly involved hours of staff time to research and write.

It had a covering memo from Lucille King, our former town clerk .in response to a directive from Councillor Mac Eachern to add e-mails of mine to a Council Agenda.

It is the Clerk's job to compile the agenda with matters of town business requiring Council's attention within the hours publicly proclaimed for dealing with town business.

The Mayor and Councillor MacEachern had been in the habit of directing staff to add e-mails of mine to the public agenda. Bob Panizza, former to former town clerk ,would happily oblige. He was marking off the days to his retirement,

The objective was never clear. I don't regret stuff that I write.The e-mails would be placed at the end of the agenda. Meetings seldom ended by the hour of adjournment I had not given permission for my comments to be a subject of discussion. I would leave before that happened.

The women would sneer and jeer that I didn't have the courage to stay.

When Lucille King joined the administration, I drew her attention to the confidentiality clause at the end of my e-mails. I pointed out, publication was prohibited without my consent. I do not give consent.

Ms King informed the Councillor her direction to include an e-mail of mine on the agenda would not be accommodated. She attached Ms Pohjola's memorandum.

Shelley's memorandum was on file. Councillor Mac Eachern knew that. It was directed to her, no doubt in response to a demand the advice be provided in writing. It was fulsome Obviously many hours of staff time were devoted to the task; without direction from council by way of resolution.

The Town's Procedure Bylaw and Code of Conduct state succinctly; no councillor shall give direction to town staff

It is an abuse of authority.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you as your information.