"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 28 April 2010

Ten Best Signs

I left Council at the hour of adjournment last night three hours and thirty minutes after the start.

The Mayor was putting on a slide show of seemingly permanent blighted sites down town and re-writing history as she went. Apparently Her Worship and a Department head or three took a conspicuous photographic tour to create a record, so that Councillors and the home audience could become aware of how bad things are in down town Aurora and what the Mayor is doing single handed to correct the situation.

I had asked immediately prior to the presentation about a massive coloured advertisement from the Town of Aurora that appeared a couple of weeks ago in a local newspaper. I queried who authorized it, what was its purpose and how much it cost.

The Chief Administrator claimed responsibility and said its purpose was to show how good things are in the Town of Aurora. He did not know off the top of his head, how much it cost

I was home in time to watch David Letterman. Some nights he's better than others but last night I particularly enjoyed his show.

A regular feature of the program is Ten Best Signs. Last night, they were Signs Your Neighbour is An Alien.

I thought....sipping on my single malt, with ice, no water, a gift from my son....I could do that. It could be... Ten Best Signs Five Councillors and a Mayor have a hate on for Evelyn Buck.

The possibilities are endless. I would need a tape of last night's meeting.

Ten Best Signs Mayor Morris is out of her depth. . Tina Fey would be perfect casting.. Sarah Palen's line still gets a laugh. "I can see Russia from my house" to illustrate her depth of foreign policy awareness.

Sue Walmer's character could be featured as Champion of her beloved leader and all that is pure and virtuous and if it's land abutting yours, keep it idle in perpetuity.

I had an inquiry at the week-end. At a silent auction for a cancer fundraiser a Certificate for a Splash Pass at a town facility was an item. Donor was Mayor Morris. My correspondent wondered if that should have been the Town of Aurora.

I asked. The Town's Parks and Recreation department have a policy of providing certificates, value $40. for charitable causes.

The request for a donation was funneled through the Mayor's office.

My inquirer was correct, the donation to the charity should have been credited to the Town of Aurora.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last April a Town of Aurora shirt was at the M&M charity BBQ.

It was from the Mayor.

She sure is a donor.

Too bad she can not donate a heart.

You have to have one first.

Anonymous said...

She'd take credit for the sun rising in the east every morning if she could.

This fall the sun will set on her short lived Mayoral career.