"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 5 April 2010

Sound and Fury

The town is abuzz with promise of change. People daily avow intentions not to vote for the Mayor and her coterie. Only two names of the current council are regularly mentioned as come-back kids.

Mine is not one.

A person notices things like that and could be offended. What a waste of time that would be.

It seems those making ever stronger avowals are planning to run for office themselves.

Candidates registered thus far, are not commended by the chattering class.

That's interesting. The only way I know to challenge, is to offer to do the job oneself. Failure to do so, doesn't mean you can't complain. It means that's all you can do.

Candidates are not voted out of office. They are voted in.

Generally voters don't want to be told by a candidate why they shouldn't vote for the other .

They want to hear why the candidate thinks she should be the one.

When I started in politics , the buzz was that everyone on Council was from "the old town"

The new areas were not represented.

A "Candidate sponsoring group" formed itself.

Would-be candidates were invited to call a certain number.

I did. The person at the end of the line said:

"Oh Hi Evelyn. As a matter of fact, your name came up"

"Is that right" I said. "And then what happened "

There was an awkward pause.

It was in that split second I decided .

All the important decisions in my life were made because I knew no reason why I shouldn't.

I wasn't elected the first time. Nor the second either. But I learned a thing or three. When I made it on the third try, I didn't defeat an incumbent.

There were two vacant seats. I filled one. Competently it seems.

I learned I don't like being told not do something.

I tend to think: What is that about?

No comments: