"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 9 August 2010

A Speedy Response

Anonymous said...

Maybe because I'm new to town I don't understand a lot of what you said.

But I do know I came to Aurora willing to pay higher taxes to get more undeveloped space.

Now I understand the issue. Thanks.

August 9, 2010 3:59 PM

******************************

This has been on odd day. Last night we had a power interruption of several hours. I stayed up to turn the lights off when they came back on.

The computer was in darkness .I assumed it was off. But at 4.00 a.m,.it heralded itself open for action.

I came to turn it off and instead spent a couple of hours posting about how different perspectives are or should be represented in a Council.

I went back to bed at six o'clock a.m.

I started the Rumours post at 10.43 a.m. It was after three when I finished, looked up and realized how long I'd been here and a thunderstorm was in full thrust outside .

Within an hour, I had the above reaction to the post

I'm not sure I understand it completely .

I can take a stab at it though.

To someone who doesn't have to worry how high taxes are, any and all effort to stop development, wherever it might be proposed. is welcome and meets with approval. It's alright now for the town to simply be fossilised, like a bug in amber.

The lady is not alone The mindset flourishes . Mayor Morris and Councillor MacEachern know their clients and serve them well.

Anonymous expresses understanding and satisfaction with the issue and thanks me.

You are welcome. I'm glad I was able to clarify.

If you are confident your perspective is shared by the majority of town residents , why not attach your name ..

It might also be helpful to acknowledge bafflegab about protecting the environment for future generations is just that.

Nothing more noble is at stake here than serving the interests of a current generation of residents who have no concern about high taxes as long as they don't have to share the neighborhood with people who do worry about taxes and how to pay the mortgage and how to get the child care centre to open earlier than 7 a.m. so that they can drop the little ones off ,and get to the station in time to get free parking shelter for the car all day.

Child safe in an institution, ten hours a day. Car safe in a free parking garage.

All is right with the world.

A hundred acres of land safe from development and all those other massive chunks chewed out from the revenue base of an urban municipality, which depends on assessment revenue to provide services at a price ordinary people can afford and keep their taxes under control

Oops... sorry anonymous... that's not your problem is it?

No comments: