"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 23 February 2011

I Am A Councllor

Okay you considered it a demand but what was their tone and actual question. You tend to get your back up and as a lover of language, you may have not appreciated their request. Did your colleagues agree that it was a demand?

*************

I speak only for myself, on the basis of experience. I can't begin to imagine what colleagues were thinking when they decided to  put their hands into taxpayers pockets and take  money  that doesn't belong to them to give to somebody else.  

I'm not sure I've ever  met anyone else who feels as strongly as I do about that. Last night, after the meeting ,it occurred to me that's the core reason for my  involvement  in politics


.I do not acknowledge the right of anyone  at the municipal level of government to take what I have, to give to someone els.

At various times I have referred to it as pick-pocketing...filching,,,siphoning from the treasury and funneling  into someone else's coffers.

There is no language strong enough to express what I think of the  arrogance  of those who exploit elected office and  the  responsibility  to protect the interest of the taxpayers and to take what they have no right to take and give it to someone who has no right to ask for or receive it.

Sharing what I have with people with a special need is a right I jealously guard for myself.

I have never allowed  my resources to be  misused without making sure the perpetrator  knowa I object and I will not forget.

If it is not  understood I am protecting  all of our rights, I  must accept that.

There is no law that says I must do so quietly..

No comments: