"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 25 February 2011

A Tree Falls

Or is struck by lightening or torn up by its roots in a fierce wind or it is cut down.

Sooner or later it outgrows its welcome in a suburban  lot. This tree is  in my neighbours yard so I can afford to be philosophical.

The tree has been there for as long as I  remember. Seven or eight families in that house  have enjoyed the tree.  It just kept getting bigger and wider and shutting out the sun earlier  in the day
.
I have enjoyed looking out into the illusion of a forest.

But too much shade is not good for growing other things.

The saw has been whirring for hours now. It was a while before the tree-cutter in his spikes and belts appeared within my range  perched among the upper branches and I  realised what was happening.

It looks like it will be many hours still before the job is finished.

I have to attend a funeral this afternoon. I will not  likely see the last of the tree. Maybe my maple will take on a new lease on life without the competition.

We shall see.

No comments: