"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 4 February 2011

Local Improvement

Many things changed over the years. Many have been forgotten.

I have no wish to interfere with what people in a neighbourhood would like.I just see no reason in the world why I should have to pay for it.

I saw no reason to share in the cost of re-construction of streets with sidewalks and curbs and then pay to create obstacles to discourage me from using those street as a short-cut to get where I'm going.

If a family wishes to live in a quiet little byway where it's safe for children to play, there are plenty of streets like that in Aurora to choose. They are just not in the centre of town. If the charm of an old house is the appeal,it must be recognised such a property is likely to be in the hub which will experience the kind of traffic hubs attract.

We all have choices.

If traffic calming in the north-east quadrant had been financed by a local improvement tax.there's no doubt people who wanted it badly enough to pay for it would soon have been sorted out from those who didn't. There would have to have been a vote and 70%.in support of the project.

I did not agree with spending $50K for a consultant and a heritage planning study in the north east quadrant.I didn't agree with a quarter of a million for traffic calming. I don't agree with the same again in the centre of town.

While the neighbourhood is charming, it's because current residents have made it so. Modern materials and colours offer a far greater opportunity to embellish than existed a hundred and fifty years ago.

I think Susan Morton Leonard is more interested in protecting her own interest than in neighbourhood heritage. I also think she has a right but not at my expense. I have no inclination to tell my neighbours they must pay either.

Neighbours should be canvassed for the required number to agree to a local improvement tax. If that happen it will have my full support.

I wonder what it would cost to remove chicanes and dispose of dead-ends. If it could be done in the night with sledge hammers and without cameras about.

No comments: