"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 26 January 2012

Those Who Mind Do Matter

I  just read how my opinion  on the George Browning House made Christopher cringe and infuriated him more than any other..

I have to correct a statement I made .I said the house the town demolished to make way for the library was a Browning house. That may be an error of memory. It was a dark and sombre house with little elegance.  I do not  regret  it's disappearance.There were other, more interesting houses on Church Street but not a whisper of an outcry.

I'm not concerned that I  infuriated  Christopher or made hm cringe  because our views differ..

Je n'accuse pas.

He has his opinion. I have mine, the twain do not meet.

What's to be done? What's to be done?

Nothing at all. Why should anything need to be done.? We do not agree. Like it or lump it.

I had a vote. Christopher did not. Christopher declares he has no inclination towards politics.

You can rail all you like but if you're not prepared to  take responsibility, you are hardly in a position to criticize those who do  and risk offending  fiery and articulate people like Christopher.

As a politician, I am prepared to be myself but I do not  accept Doctor Seuss's philosophy that  those who mind don't matter. They most certainly do.
.
I've been doing it a long time .I have scars to prove it.  I've taken the heat. I've stayed in the kitchen.

I don't run for office to be told what to think by someone  half my age and  none of my experience, who has the luxury of contemplating only one aspect of a particular decision and doesn't even recognize pandering when he himself  is the object.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Christopher declares he has no inclination towards politics."

The best news of the day. I was dreading the sight of any WTF Party lawn signs.

Anonymous said...

It has been a shitty time for all concerned. Only the brain-dead on Council can take any satisfaction in the results. High expectations that simply were not met despite the best intentions.We have to let the dust settled and re-assess. Harder for Christopher as it may be a new experience but I think he is resilient enough to bounce back. Too soon to see the whole picture and perhaps a few sleepless nights will produce a better budget next time. I bloody well hope so.

Anonymous said...

You have mentioned the library and the demolished house many times.Now could you please have the integrity to post who owned the property the library was erected on.