"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 23 June 2012

Off Wth The Raggle Taggle Gypsies OH!

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Let Both Sides Be Heard":

Isn't it funny who you are often voting along with lately...
************
Let's take a look at that and determine what ,if anything, there is to make of it.
I do not  nor have I ever discussed Council  business prior to a meeting. I am not averse. The opportunity does not present.
What I  say and how I vote is decided in the course and at the end of a debate.
I  arrive at an issue with a strong leaning. I make my case, listen to the opposing argument, respond  if  opportunity presents  and cast my vote.
If my argument has influence, that's  gratifying. It's mine and everyone else's reason for being there.
Two people speaking along the same lines, lends strength to an  argument. One picks up allies wherever one finds them.
I don't make deals beforehand. I don't need support and I don't want to renege.
I don't count  votes.Once the  question is decided  it makes little difference where the numbers were..
Staff reports are clear and direct. I don't them to be defined.
.I spend very little time at the town hall. I steer clear of inordinate influence. 
If I  need clarification. I ask and receive . Explanations are, clear, succinct and fulsome.
I never ask anyone how I should vote.  
Sometimes I make mistakes. I seldom dwell on them. I don't feel
compelled  to wear sackcloth and ashes. 
Expectations of myself is to do the best I can 
Votes on Council are often unanimous which are not notable.  It simply means the issue is not contentious.
A tie vote is interesting. It only happens when a members is absent.
The question is left hanging about how it will go when the decision must be made.  A tie vote is not a decision.
But if a tie vote happens at a council meeting , it raises the question of re-consideration.  
There is a tendency to "team" around the Mayor. It's not unnatural.  Councillors  hang out together.at various events. They  mainly hear views compatible to their own. Doesn't mean they won't change their mind if they hear something they didn't think of  before.. 
There is a  a distinct possibility of that if they have to hear from  someone who has been around since Methuselah 
They do listen.
Aurora Council is not split into factions. 
Not have enough time is available for informal exchange before we go  on stage ,in the public eye, under the microscope and are compelled to make decisions as we speak. .
The almighty thrust towards vaunted  openness and transparency comes at a price. That  price is not being able to exchange ideas informally and out of the glare of publicity where everyone has to demonstrate rapier skills or die. 
So people meet in bars and coffees shops in smaller numbers and   form conclusions and  alliances hard to renege.
I watch it, I recognise it. It does not disturb me because however uncomfortable  they make things for themselves, Councillors do vote for what they believe is right. 
I include all Councillors.
If Councillors Gallo, Gaertner and Ballard find themselves voting with me , I sincerely hope it causes them no embarrassment because it disturbs me not a  whit.     

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No one who reads this blog = with a couple of un-noteworthy exceptions, believes voting is a matter of ' taking sides'. Carry On, Councillor.