"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 26 August 2013

Indeed I do speak for the community

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "A short exchange":

"You mean like all the national polls before elections?"

No, I mean like trying to gauge local opinion based on a handful of blog comments.

"How can you generalize about what ' most of your fellow residents ' may be feeling or thinking ?"

I don't know, probably the same way Cllr Buck does when she tries to reinforce her argument when purporting to speak for "the community."

"I sure don't know except by talking and listening to them. Which I try to do."

Good Luck with that.


Posted by Anonymous to Our Town and Its Business at 26 August


*****************************

It seems to be the day for lessons. 

Councillor Buck speaks for the community by virtue of having  ben elected to do so.

I paid the hundred dollars fee to register as a candidate. 

I attended upon the Clerk, Commissioner of Oaths, in his office to swear on oath that I am who I say I am. 

I conducted a campaign for a period of weeks and informed the community what I stood for. I askeed  them to trust that I would exercise my judgement on their behalf. 

On Election Day I garnered a sufficient number of voites  to  be eligible to take a seat at the Council table. 

But before I could do  so I swore  again an Oath of Office to abide by the laws of the land. 

Then and only then ,did  I have the right to speak for the community along with eight other residents 
who went through the same process. 

That  different  viewpoints are expressed  at the table is entirely appropriate  connsidering  the entire community  is represented. 

The percentage of the  people who  vote is more a reflection of the numbers on the voters list than it is the community's interest in  public affairs. 

At any given time the population is shifting. People leave. New people move in. New owners need time to catch up on what's what. 

Tenants , unless they are former  homeowners, do not take the same interest as property owners. . They do not pay taxes directly.  They are less  likely to be permanent residents. 

Young people of eighteen years and thereabouts are also less likely to vote for the same reason. 

All that having ben said. I  do not "purport" to speak . I do speak for th community. 

Because they have given me the authorityy to do so. 

Many.many. many times.








Young people of eighteen y

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a 'Helen' who registered to run. I even recall which former councillors she accompanied to the Town Hall. Then she vanished. Became sort of like a Where's Waldo? Did the ' Helen ' lose any more than the registration fee?

Anonymous said...

I think your critic is missing the point. Did or did not the Aurora Blogs represent the opinions of the electorate prior to the last municipal election ? Seems to me that they were an accurate reflection of the results. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

Christopher is sure making up for lost time.
Evelyn, do you put these untitled comment boxes up for off-topic subjects. If so, it might work once we figure it out.

Anonymous said...

"I’m with Mr. Hotham."

That's good, since he's his next-door neighbour.