"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 22 April 2008

Oh My God.

The Honorable Dalton McGuinty may be everything Mike Harris said he was. And Mike Harris was no prize to bring home to mother either.

Dalton is telling women the clothes dryer uses 6% of the household consumption of hydro power. They should stop using it and hang the wash out to dry.

Yes Indeed we've come a long way baby.

I wonder if he checked with his female MLA,S before he launched that initiative.

Did he check with any of the people who happily signed the covenant that meant they would not have a neighbour's unmentionables flapping in their face or blocking their view when they had time to enjoy their ribbon- width backyards after working full time and spending three hours a day commuting to the city.

I have a daughter who lives in a single family detached house. She uses an umbrella style clothes dryer. She has a family of six. Hangs the wash out to save money. It is one of the measures that allows her to be a stay-at-home mother. Albeit much of wash-day outside in the fresh air at least eight months of the year.

I have a clothes line. Last year I replaced my washing machine with one that sits under the counter in the kitchen. I gave up my dishwasher because carrying a full basket of laundry up the basement stairs was not an option.

I have not used a dryer since the last of my children finally moved out of the house.

I am a single unit household. I dry outside because it's cheaper and sweeter, not because some suit thinks I should. Shows how much attention he was paying when he was growing up in a household with seven brothers.

Every time I think things can't get any sillier.

They do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cllr. Buck,
I would appreciate that you report what I say accurately. You indicate, "She answered in the affirmative. On one occasion, in-camera, the matter of raises for non-union staff was on the agenda. Mayor Jones, whose wife was on staff, declared a conflict and did not participate. Later however when the matter was reported out he failed to declare."

The correction would be, Former Mayor Tim Jones attended and partipated during two in-camera meetings during negotiation of the non-union staff salary increases. He declared his conflict only when the pay increases were ratified in public.
Evelina MacEachern

Anonymous said...

Evelina,
You left-wing nut-job! What does your comment have to do with clothes lines? Your comment is as off-topic as most of your rants during council sessions. It's no wonder that you preceed most of your statements with "Maybe I'm missing something....". Well, you are missing something, too bad you will never find it, it's called "a clue".