"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Not My First Choice

December 15th, hardly in keeping with the season, I received an email from a resident of Orchard Heights Blvd. “Resign,” he said, “so that the Town can move on.” He cited job losses, economic challenges and financial upheaval as important issues and said my focus is on “ridiculous and trivial” matters.

“You are out of touch with the needs of our community. The Mayor and Council of Aurora are looked on as a joke in this and other communities and you stand out amongst them,” he declared.

“In the brief moments I have watched you on T.V., your behavior is childish.” He declared his intention to do everything he can to ensure I am not on the next council.

The resident along with others, is simply exercising his right to be boorish. Ideas seem not to be at issue. There are seldom specific contentions. They focus on “declining years and mental competence”. My critics are usually nameless. Thoughtful commentary. is conspicuous in its absence. When I stopped posting personal abuse on my Blog, they transferred it to the Aurora Citizen.

I advised the resident the issues he referenced are the responsibility of senior levels of government. As to his intention to destroy me in the next election, I told him from the benefit of my experience,the best way to ensure a candidate's defeat is to put your own name on the ballot. But voters are particular.. They like to know something about a candidate's views. A campaign based solely on negative remarks about a rival is generally not well received.

I focus on my campaign commitments. Face-to-face communication with residents indicates my efforts are acceptable. Not being Santa Claus, I had no inclination to guarantee his yearned-for-opportunity to destroy me in the next election.

I wished him “All the Best for the Season and May Sugar Plums Dance On Your Head.”

I heard nothing more. The Aurora Citizen on the other hand, posted a flurry of rancorous, anonymous comments between Christmas and New Year about my age and declining mental powers..

In their minds, I am a miscreant. Aurora has never been better served they say. The exodus of all but one senior staff member is a sign of political expertise . No disagreement is permitted. All opposition must be stamped out wherever, whenever and by whatever means necessary. Insults abuse and character assassination are the weapons of choice. Facts must not be allowed to alter the picture.

If intimidation and coercion, with assistance from legal counsel retained at taxpayers' expense do not prevail, it appears pounding me with a sledge hammer into the ground like a splayed out wooden tent peg is the alternate.

The plan is flawed. A person of long life and experience is by definition a survivor. Eccentricities do not mellow with age.I still detest the things I always did. Mettle is tempered. For good or ill, the essence of character is formed.

Bullying, cowardice, lying, cheating, twisted psyches and just plain silliness are part of the human dimension. In positions of power untold harm is the consequence. With all the years behind me and consistent voter support, I have learned to fight it when the need arose. As long as there's a worthy target and my aim is straight, I will continue to do so.

Hurling the hammer is not a blood sport. It is not my first choice. But in the absence of intellectual challenge, it is a reasonably satisfactory role. Not to be sniffed at.

No comments: