"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 18 June 2009

Clear to The Stratosphere

Robert the Bruce and Tim the Enchanter enjoy a good argument. As I do. But for some reason it seems they have to beat me up in order to set me straight.

If I didn't get a reaction to my posts I would soon assume I'm wasting my time. I'm not saying I would stop doing it but a response means people are reading what I have to say and that is the purpose.

Still, I'm not inclined to let folk come ower ma door and into ma ain hoose and thump me to prove a point. First because it 'll no dae, ye ken and second because it's my space. I have control.

I just obliterated three spurts of venom from Evalina MacEachern who doesn't sign her name of course. But all people, and they are legion, who have received communications from Evalina recognize her style. Plus the fact she is always up and at her computer around the witching hour of twelve midnight when she does it. First we recognise the style , then we check the time, and ...Oh Yes, Evalina again. The blunter her expletives, the rounder my chuckle. I scored again.

Elizabeth Bishenden makes some good points about our love affair with the car. An argument is always better when there is logic on both sides.

I just bought an electric scooter. I rented one a year ago for the street sale and thoroughly enjoyed it. I knew it would be useful and fun to have. Still it took me a year to think about it and a sale with 25% reduction to buy one.

I am wheeling on sidewalks I haven't been on for more than forty years. Last time,I was pushing a pram with two or three young ones beside me. Sometimes when we went to the park,I felt like the Pied Piper of Hamlin. Kids came down driveways all down the street and joined us in a cavalcade.

Now it's like discovering a new town. When our subdivision was new ,there were few trees and no gardens. Everything was pretty bare. Looking at the same properties now is like a miracle has happened. The gardens are spectacular and owners all over have done beautiful things to their homes .And there is blessed shade. Forty years ago, it was like crossing a desert.

The scents of the spring flowering shrubs and trees fill the air.There's something special about getting out . I used to take one of the bicycles out at six in the morning. I'd ride from our house up to the abandoned orchard at the north end of town and sit on a tree stump and look down on the town. Wimpey built Orchard Heights there.

We sometimes walked across the fields south of Henderson Drive on a Sunday morning to the railway and sat on a hill and waited for the train to go by. One time, we saw a circus train with decorated animal cages.We shouted and cheered. Tamarack was developed there more than twenty years ago.

I grew up in a society where nobody knew anybody who had a car. We walked. Leather soled shoes wore right through to a hole.And then they might be stuffed with cardboard.

I remember walking to Mass at six o'clock one Christmas morning before going to work. Myself my sister and a couple of other sisters the same age who lived across the street. Each of us swore we had identified the Star that only appeared on Christmas Day.

Well...we were kids walking to church on a cold, dark, special morning with nothing to see but a sky full of stars over our heads. Obviously, we were good mystical Catholics.

There's a whole other world out there when you're not in a car.

I love my car as much as anybody. Its wheels are my wings. I can think of a dozen reasons why it might be necessary to take the car to the station. I just think that sometimes the easiest and most obvious solution is not necessarily the best.

Sometimes the solution is worse than the problem.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoy my car right outside my door. I do not commute, I have been lucky enough to be a stay at home mom for many years. I do have kids that need to be in certain places by certain times, and that can be anywhere between Aurora and Newmarket or Toronto. I have managed to get the bike out of the shed to enjoy the many yards out there and a few nice riding trails. I am trying very hard to break the habit of the car. It is hard but getting on my bike or walking is very satisfying and I sure do look forward to it. I hope to make the time more often to get out there and enjoy!

Robert the Bruce said...

Evelyn said: "Robert the Bruce and Tim the Enchanter enjoy a good argument. As I do. But for some reason known only to themselves, they seem to believe they have to beat me up in order to set me straight."

How did I beat you up Evelyn? That is unfair considering your style of writing on this blog.

You made some statements about the GO station parking facilty and I got the impression (correct me if I am wrong) that you feel that this development is short-changing the town somehow. You give the impression that this facility will make people want to work downtown instead of working in Aurora.

I really did not understand the purpose of this blog entry in the first place. In a time where mass transit is being put on the front burner everywhere, the impression you gave me was that you disagreed with it all as it hurts Aurora.

If that's "beating you up", that's a shame.

Fuimus

Tim the Enchanter said...

1. It would seem that Robert the Bruce and I are on the same page.
Considering the personal venom spewed forth by all sides, particularly amongst members of council, on a regular basis I thought our "digs" were positively mild.

2. Your comments about the transit and commuting were posted in your "Political Stuff" section which indicated to me that, as a councillor, you felt Aurora should become politically involved in the question of commuters and traffic. My point was that YRT/Viva/GO have nothing to do with the Town business so if, as a citizen of Aurora, you have concerns over the perceived ill effects of GO's expansion then you should tell them about it and by all means pass along the appropriate YRT/Viva/GO contact info so like-minded citizens may join you.

3. The question of commuters using YRT to get to the GO station is also not an official Town matter.
That said, I agree that anything that can be done to leave cars in driveways is welcome but that's up to YRT. The danger is in becoming car-hostile a la Toronto. "We'll make it so difficult to use a car they'll HAVE to take public transit". That thinking is straight from www.nevergonnahappen.com.
It's not about a "love affair with the car" - we're not talking Sunday drives for ice-cream. Folks need to go places and do things and if that's accomplished more easily by car then they drive.
If and when transit becomes a better option, such as taking a GO train downtown, then that's what people will use.
Perhaps as a concerned citizen you could suggest that YRT/GO hire students to survey commuters as to why they drive to the station.

4. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but I'm guessing my description of Aurora as yet another suburban bedroom community doesn't sit well with you either. That's not to say Aurorans shouldn't be proud of their town but the demand for GO service speaks for itself.

Elizabeth Bishenden said...

Evelyn is quite right. Logic helps both sides of an argument.

However, logic has limits. It has to be based on fact. It can call on emotion, because it argues for the human condition, but without the basis of fact, it is lost.

Here's an emotional response: I enjoy Aurora's streets and paths and trails. I drive them, jog them, walk them, and bike them. Here's a fact: kids who walk along Wellington Street to Aurora Senior and Aurora High weren't considered in the Yonge/Wellington corridor study when it was extended to include Wellington St. to the east as far as John West Way, but not to the west as far as their schools. They are the pedestrians who are splashed by tsunamis of street drainage whenever they try to walk on the sidewalks of Wellington St. on a rainy day.

The Yonge/Wellington corridor study didn't look at commuter patterns. If it had, it would have advocated for the kids who walk to those schools every day, as well as for the drivers on the roadway to the new GO parking garage and Town Hall.

Goodie two shoes said...

Wow congratulations! Finally what this blog has been for. People exchanging views, sharing opinions in a positive fashion. I for one am glad to read positive informative ideas. Thank-you!