"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Wednesday 8 August 2012

Mark My Words

I check the job postings on MWXTRA . It comes to me by e-mail.   Sometimes it's the only way to know/.
The ad for the job in Newmarket is both interesting and alarming. 
We followed Newmarket and Whitchurch Stouffville,   buying a 
Customer Service program 
I've never been sure the administration and myself  share an understanding of who the town's "customers," or "stakeholders " are. 
The  program, which Council was assured would cost no more , was a classic example.
 I haven't seen any signs of improvement. But then I was not aware of  problems either. I think of Councillors being first in the line of fire and being  the first to know of "customer" dissatisfaction. 
The  wording  of the Newmarket posting  has Strategic Plan Commissioner  written all over it.
 It will undoubtedly be another six figure salary. 
We just adopted  a new Strategic Plan that cost us $80.000.  Everybody but me  is really  excited about it. Kids at soccer games were asked what they wanted the town to look like in twenty years.
The first reference has already been made  in a report recommending  approval  of the division of a large lot into two  on Kennedy Street West,
The comment  was;  the division of  a single large lot into two  large lots conforms to  the provincial  requirements for  intensification.
It also accomplishes the town's objective of providing a  superior  quality of life for all. 
I kid you not. 
I don't have the report in my hand. My wording is not  a precise quote.  But that certainly was the  meaning.
 I read it out at  the Council meeting. I laughed but  without any  real amusement.Sometimes there's nothing else you can do.
Newmarket is probably  ahead  of us  in adopting a twenty year 
Strategic Plan. We do seem to be the Johny- Come- Latelies
It should be an advantage in knowing what mistakes not to make but in this business, in this age,  nobody ever admits making mistakes
Reading the ad gives an idea of what Newmarket's  plan intends  to accomplish 
All that's required  is a  Harry Potter Wizard type candidate complete  with  a magic wand. 
That will be us in a short while.. I'll betcha.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last division of a lot on Kennedy Stree West into two went to the OMB who ok'd it as part of in-filling along Yonge Street where the services would be available. A few tweaks were necessary to cut the two sides down a bit each but that was all. That was years ago and that parcel of land is still for sale at the moment. So the owner really wasn't planning on building two houses with one for sale. In the meantime, wildlife uses it as a corridor between two branches of water. Weeds get cropped and I guess some taxes are paid. Lots of places for sale on that street. The contractors shot up enormous buildings in which no one appears to live.

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, please check but I think it was Morris who took the division of that lot on Kennedy Street West to the OMB. She might have thought she would get a cluster of votes. She lost and I'm pretty sure there were no Morris signs on that street.
Wonder what that cost Aurora?