"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 1 August 2013

Guest Post

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Getting Business Done":

Excuse me Ms Buck.

This type of post is exactly what makes me furious at councillors and Town staff.

Your comment "Councillors are part-time representatives and paid accordingly. A fraction of the Mayor's remuneration. Necessarily they have jobs.They've been at work all day and will rise to get to work the next day." infuriates me. Did it ever occur to you that those who may be receiving the recognition that you abhor also have been at work all day? Perhaps this is the only time they can take time out of their busy schedule to do this? How dare you think that your time is more important than those that you serve.

In the same vein. I have recently decided to do a small project at home and thought it best to be legal. I went to the Town web site and found that what I needed and how much. I then realized that the Town is only able to process the paperwork when they are open. Guess what, same time that I work. So, I take a mornign off from work - UNPAID - go to the Town hall. Need to fill out an application - why is it not on the web site - It is the staff say - no it isn't... more time used. I need copies of site plans. I don't have them, we have them says the helpful staff - $12 each for a copy - are you kidding? $12? She tells me this AFTER she has made copies on a machine that has a per page rate of about 10 cents!!! Need measurements... why it's on the site plan?... we need to confirm... I will come back... Do you want the copies? No I will make my own. Well they are here if you want them - I won't charge. WTF?? Are they $12 or not?

So, make make my measurements, mark them on the site plan. Arrange for another morning of no pay. come back to the office submit the application and all of the paperwork... oh.. don't forget the fee $100!!! For what?

Get a call a couple of days later, your permit is ready. When can I get it.... only during opne hours! Another UNPAID trip to John West Way!!

Finally I ask the question, what would happen if I decided to do the work without a permit? Nothing was the answer unless someone complained!!! WTF?? I spent $100 for a permit, potentially $24 for photo-copies, 3 unpaid morings. If I bought a case of beer and some burgers, I could have a party with the neighbours and they would not complain.

It is a silly system when you are there to serve US.


************************************


Get Off Your High Horse has left a new comment on your post "Getting Business Done":

Residents ARE the town. What makes you think you're better than the rest of us?! 


*************************************

 Nothing makes me think I am better than the rest. 

 Though I did have an election slogan once that proclaimed  myself to be "  as good as the best   and better than the rest"  

The "rest "was in reference to  other candidates.  Though  I do not intend to signify  a lack of confidence either. 

I was young and had a good sense of the competition. I make no apology. 

The seat I occupy at the Council table is not a horse. It's a chair.

Which I am entitled to occupy by virtue of having been elected to it for a term of four years.  


And having sworn the Oath of Office.

The Oath of Office binds me ,by law , to adhere to  a standard of conduct befitting a position of 
Public Trust

 If I breach  my Oath, I am  subject to  be charged with a criminal offense. I am mindful of the seriousness of the commitment.

None of which makes me better than anyone else but it does  place certain obligations and responsibilities  upon me. The primary one being  the provincial regulation to attend promptly and efficiently to the corporation's business  in an open and transparent manner.

I do my best. I do not take my responsibilities lightly.

I respect the office I hold by virtue of having received sufficient votes from the electorate to represent their interest , as I perceive it, until the next election.

I am fully accountable for my conduct in office.

Along with other members of Council ,including the Mayor, that's what makes me different, not better, than a non-elected resident of the community.

My function is to serve  in whatever form the office calls for.

I  surrender  none of my rights by virtue of holding a public office.

I take on additional responsibilities.

One of which is to respect the office I hold and the people who elected  me to it.



Had the first commenter called any member of Council, including the Mayor and  sought advice for whatever he was contemplating, I have no doubt  he would have discovered home occupations are
permissible  and he might not have  experienced the frustration he did.

He overlooked a  valuable resource.

It's not uncommon.

It is not necessarily the fault of the person who was not asked to help.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn, you have to stop responding to those mosquito attacks. It's just what they do during the summer doldrums.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like someone went looking for fight. You can't fix stupid or rude.

Anonymous said...

A good night for sleeping. Take care.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the sleeping well thingee. evening musing. 101:

would it not be cool if holyday replaced hudak ?

Anonymous said...

By building up "the office," you conflate it with your sense of self-importance.

Anonymous said...

13:12
And a ' meow ' to you too.