"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 16 December 2011

Let Nothing Ye Dismay

Had a post  at 11.49 a.m. yesterday noting a high number of anonymous posts were written by the same cryptic poster.

A wee while later another anonymous  comment noted  how astute the observation of   11.49 a.m.

Really, I  thought. What did I miss? I googled cryptic. It means mysterious or obscure. No clue there

Comments  were higher than average.  I read  all comments. If they contribute anything to a discussion  I publish them.

If  it's a  plug for something like designer boots or bags  in Chinese,  I delete them. I don't speak Chinese.

Abusive and insulting slams  have  virtually disappeared since I stopped publishing them.Larry Fine's was the last comment  assigned to trash.

I don't think my enemies have stopped reading. They've  merely  toned down the malice. If I publish  a sly dig here and there,  they probably think they have been exceptionally clever.

Anyway, I went back and read  the comments again to see what I missed. Other than they were generally supportive of the post, I couldn't see  being "cryptic"  identified  a single writer.

Why would a person?

Maybe they were so supportive, they needed to say so in a dozen different ways.

Well, hey, I can  accept that.  I'm not writing a scientific paper, an academic dissertation or a legal argument. My entire future  doesn't depend on getting a pass. 

The commenter noted I must have a fan.  Well, Whoop..dee..doo.   Judging by the average  of daily readers, I  allow  that might be.

I take great  satisfaction in having  the freedom to tell the story as I see it.

I worry sometimes the stuff  might be too  consistently worrisome. Then I think  how things would be if I wasn't  chronicling. Who else would  provide the nuances from my particular angle? Eh!

Would  Aurora's political scene be  clearer and brighter without the colour I provide?

Maybe.   Nothing  is clearer or brighter than a blank page.

Council will not meet again until New Year.  The budget  has not been  pushed through before Christmas, despite the Mayor's best efforts.

Previously prepared  motions  by staff to approve each department's  budget as presented were passed by a majority.  It appears however not  to be what the majority intends.

Since deliberations were in committee, nothing is binding.The intent, it seems, is to make decisions after the entire  picture is on display.

That's sensible.

The community still has  opportunity for influence.

A quiet word here and there over Christmas could  have  wondrous effect.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evelyn:

Please pass along thanks to Christopher Watts for his article headed Whiskey Tango Foxtrot and in particular for the twin cultural centres he had featured.

We need more of this and less A-Farts.

Anonymous said...

The cryptic poster did not write all of those comments.
They made one statement and added a follow up.
You do not have "A FAN" you have several.

Can't catch your Drift said...

"I don't speak Chinese".

and therein lies your problem dear Evelyn ,you are surrounded by folk that are fluent in Chinese and virtually every other speak in the land including Bafflegab, MumboJumbo,Jiberish and pure Twatle just to name a few

Anonymous said...

It seems as though there is a lot of people who think they know who anonymous posters are. How can they be sure of who is who?

Anonymous said...

Does that mean there will be another chance to stop
the soft-ware purchase or is it cast in concrete like a
chicane ?

Anonymous said...

I think the observation about the astuteness was
sarcastic. I know that because I made it which is the
only way one can be sure who posts what. Which is
a blessing. Otherwise we would have idiots compiling
lists of supposedly inflammatory comments and be
on track for more law suits. Been there; done that.

Anonymous said...

Christopher's post on the latest grab for cash [ our cash ] by the Jazz group is a howl ! That woman didn't even know how much she was asking the town to
provide. Can you imagine what you would say to your
kid if he/she kept wanting more and justified it by
saying proudly, " I spent it all. "?