"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Saturday 31 December 2011

Speaking About Gifts

Oh that God the gift wid gie us
To see oorselves as ithers see us

I'm not sure that would be much of a gift. I doubt Rabbie Burns was thinking about himself when he wrote it either. He was likely reacting to those who thought they knew what he was about and didn't approve at all, at all.

My mother used to say, you can't know a person unless you've lived with them. I think she said it because of how she thought of my father that others didn't. She had to believe it was true. Because, if he was what others  thought, then maybe herself was not as blameless as she was sure she was.

To be sure, it's hard enough to acknowledge self-imperfection without  responsibility for trying to figure out why other people behave the way they do.

Each of us is endowed with a package of traits from the moment of being. Even siblings are not the same. We can take neither credit nor blame. It's the nature of things.

Cloning is not.

Mostly, we are a work in progress. Doing the best we can one day at a time. Some days managing better than others.

As far as politics is concerned,I'm aware many people like what I do and how.

Enough to encourage me

I've not always enjoyed the same level of support.

Not always been viewed in the same light. I'm nobody's idea of a poster child.Nor have I made that claim.

Not all people have seen the same. Not even the same people have seen it at the same time.

So what's to be made of it ?

How we see oorselves ? Or how others see us?

Can we think too much about it? In so doing,try to be something we are not?

Or is it best to be...the best we can be...and content to continue to try to be better???

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How did your mother see you?
How did your siblings see you?