"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 19 May 2014

Beauty is in the eye ofthe beholder. Relevance is something else.

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Signs and Portents":

"Councillor Ballard on the other hand tweets and writes a blog. His profession is journalism.

He regularly tweets uncomplimentary comments about various colleagues."

So do you. How is that relevant

Posted by Anonymous to Our Town and Its Business at 19 May 2014 10:28


***********************

I do not tweet. Never have. People tell me I should. Margaret Atwood does . Me, I am  content with words . But I may venture some time in the future. For now I  just blog along. 

It is relevant  that the Councillor tweets  uncomplimentary comments  about colleagues because the Councillor is a candidate for Provincial office. 

It's never  a good idea to alienate  people whose support  is crucial to an election. 

The post was about  competition for the provincial seat. What does the campaign management and visible strategy tell about the candidate.? How smart?

How does it compare with  Jane Twinney's campaign so far.?

In the absence of personality  how else  can a voter judge? 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is great that someone from Newmarket is actually making the effort to talk to Aurorans. In the past, we were often treated like lesser citizens with electoral sites unmanned , or unwomened.

Anonymous said...


Hickory dickory dock,

The candidates ran up the clock.

The clock struck one, and Ballard was done,

Hickory dickory dock.

Anonymous said...


This is from a column in a weekend edition of a British newspaper and is written by a Knight of the Realm, commenting on all and sundry in our lives and happenings around the world.

Reader's letter: "I am a new fan of Twitter and am gutted that you are apparently not on Twitter. I am amused by a certain Reverend who tweets powerfully on the Stages of the Cross alongside the revelries of his dogs, his garden shed and, most recently, he told me to rush outside in the middle of the night to watch the space station passing high above my home...why don't you?"

Reply: "I don't tweet because it doesn't require a fountain pen which I love using. The Reverend is a shade too trendy for my Catholic taste and completing the Stations (not Stages) of the Cross ought to require a calm spiritual state of mind rather than a hurried sense of spontaneity that Twitter urges. My friends Peter and Anne, who have shown me more kindnesses than any other English couple since I first came to England as a boy, made use of their estate to map out a kind of mini pilgrimage of the Stations of the Cross. That is what I would regard as a proper modernization off an important Catholic ceremony. Not with twits who tweet on Twitter twittering away."

Anonymous said...

It makes absolutely no sense to refer to the electorate as " a bunch of rubes "


" and then expect gratitude

Anonymous said...

It is possible that the expectation was that individuals would stick firmly to their parties. Never having taken a blood oath to a party, I am perfectly flexible here.

Anonymous said...

Provincially this is an easy one for me. Ballard would never see a vote from me. It wouldn't matter what party he was representing.

Anonymous said...


Angus Duff sounds like a capable, intelligent and experienced person.

Normally I would not consider voting NDP but circumstances are different now.

I simply can't vote for Jane Twinney because of the leader of her party, who I think is a complete idiot. Has anyone done an analysis of the major planks of his party platform
to date? They would be put to better use building a coffin.

Wynne is unsupportable, not so much because of the budget, which had a number of good features, but on account of her apparent involvement in the gas plants that were cancelled. Something she denies. And on the debit side is her candidate in our riding who is inexcusable.

By the way, how is her lawsuit against Hudak going?

My own prediction is that the election will result in another minority government, preferably a Liberal minority.

The Horwath woman who leads the NDP will likely continue to do so. She doesn't appeal to me in either a positive or negative way, sort of like a sponge cake without the icing. Angus Duff, even though he likely won't get elected, might play a prominent role in his party which might be a good thing.

Anonymous said...

This seems to be a bad election in which to run. I have never met so many people who were fed up with politicians, period. Somehow we have created a system where none are trusted --never mind liked.

Anonymous said...

17:20
Ms buck pays her own freight.
How is the former's suit against Aurora going ?

Anonymous said...

Oh eve... please just hit the delete button when you get vermins like 20:49

Anonymous said...

Sorry..I meant 17:20

Anonymous said...

20:29, but we're paying the defendants' "freight."

Anonymous said...

11:12
As far as I know they produced no offer to settle. Why should they ? It costs Them zilch.

Anonymous said...

“Defendants”….what a crock.