"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 11 April 2016

MAKE A NEW PLAN ,STAN ...AND SET YOURSELF FREE

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "HE PUT IN HIS THUMB AND PULLED OUT A PLUM": 

That raw political rookie, along with his greenhorn deputy, certainly greased the wheels on your demise as a politician. 

Posted by Anonymous to  Our Town and Its Business at 10 April 2016 at 23:40

***************************************************

It is true I failed to win a seat on Council for the 2014/18 term. It would have been my fourth successful election since I turned seventy-five years of age. 

There are two certain outcomes to an election. First  is to win and second is not to.
I have known both. 

Winning is better. 

The salient fact is, in the last election I won forty-nine votes fewer than the last member elected. 

Post mortems on elections are not particularly useful. Voters decide, as is their right. 

The comment above usually makes an  appearance after criticism  of the Mayor or his "greenhorn deputy".  It might be useful to contemplate intent of the partners seventeen months ago. 

Lady Macbeth's cajolery, when sowing the seed of murder in her husband's mind may fill the bill.  

"Hie thee hither 
That I may pour my spirits in thine  ear. 
And chastise me with the valour of my tongue
And that impedes thee from the golden round
Which fate and metaphysical aid doth seem
To have thee crowned withall"

Well, yes...  it's far-fetched I know....but  so delicious. Dark deeds square so neatly with the elevated image of the" raw political rookie and his greenhorn deputy"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He "washed his hands " and pled ignorance. And it would not have worked except for that ignorant door knocker thing near the end of the election. And no one was ever going to admit to that one !

Anonymous said...

I remember that vote count. Pirri squeaked into council the last term as well. I was so pissed when you were not voted in, put then looked at the brighter side. Being able to speak somewhat freely now, must be some relief. You continue to have influence in Town business without the circus of being at the same council table. I found that you were sometimes dismissed by some by these rookie councilors which was very disrespectful and infuriating to me. Experience means nothing in todays world. It doesn't in the workforce and it certainly looks like its in the political world as well.