"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 24 May 2007

Pillow Talk

ORIGINALLY POSTED Friday, January 5, 2007




Regarding a not nice letter in response to my hockey team analogy.

I have been writing letters to one editor or another in Aurora for more than forty years. I cheerfully admit, I always hope to have readers. Why else would one write?

I would not like my letters to have been considered dull, innocuous or mediocre. I want to believe they may have sparked a little interest in whatever idea was being expressed...maybe even a chuckle, or a tear.

Politicians do not usually express themselves in writing. From a political perspective, it is at best unwise and at worst, definitely risky. Generally speaking, I think risk is the spice of life.

Nevertheless, I have been publicly shat upon once too often. I am no longer sure I can accept abuse without succumbing to the overwhelming temptation to hurl a wheelbarrow load of the stuff right back at whatever clumsy oaf may be wielding the shovel.

But doing that runs against the grain. It represents a terrible waste of time and space, to say nothing of the powerful impact of the malodorous emanation.

I shall heretofore confine my efforts to my blogging boudoir. I realise not everyone is wired but if our editor spots something he thinks might be of interest to Auroran readers, it shall be yours.

No comments: