"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Friday 13 December 2013

Sweden has it right ...I think

I thought  it would be done by now. It isn't. And will not be until "early in the New Year"

It's best I don't print comments on the trial until it's over. Much  as I appreciate the support therein.

But there are things we can talk about . We've spent a lot of time waiting . Considering the surroundings , some  trains of thought are inevitable.

Over the years, I've found myself in a court room on a number of occasions. Some I'd forgotten.

One occasion was in a court room in Leksand, Sweden.  I went on a charter with StAndrew's College band. They were invited by high schools in Sweden. The charter was  a few  heads short of the number required/. The late Norm Stewart was a Councillor and at the same time the dietuician at St. Andrew's.

Former and late Richard Illingworth,his partner; the late  Col. Fred Tilston, the late Colleen Gowan , town clerk and  a  personal friend and myself ; the late Councillor Norm Stewart  all went along  to make up the numbers.

It was a highly informative trip.

We had a day in court.

A Saturday.

The  Judge explained the  Swedish judicial system .

When a person graduates  from studies in law, the judiciary is  a field  among others to choose from.

He/she works in the court. Eventually minor cases  are assigned to the fledgeling Judge.

A panel of senior Judges monitor decisions.

A Judge sits on the bench  with an equal number of citizens on either side.  Decisions are made
collectively.  Judge advising  citizens on  points of law.

More  serious cases are assigned as judgement  and competence matures.

I do not offer this as a full account of the Swedish judicial system.

My impression is, the  system is a reflection of  sober, serious, conscientious attitudes and respect for law and order  of the community at large.

 I came away with huge respect for Swedish society.




No comments: