"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 9 October 2014

And The Beat Goes On

Election mode for me is having a plan and completing it .Of course I have help. To be precise,
I  help the help .

No-one  enters as a candidate without being confident of support and believing they can win.

The  always outstanding question is how much  support and will it be enough ?

During a campaign , I don't read newspapers . Nor tweets . Nor any other stuff promoting other candidates, if I can help it.

It's important to maintain confidence. A negative note assumes gigantic proportions.

I do not speak against other candidates although I do speak about town business that concerns me

I have not allowed the  blog to be used  for or against other candidates. It's been a tad difficult with incumbents but I have tried . Much has not been published.

My scooter has been a great help. As well as distributing leaflets,I've had  a chance to see gardens up close. Quite possible ,at the best time of an extraordinary summer.

I 've had  conversations with many  people and expect to have many more.

Ive noticed things that needed  attention attended to it and filed away stuff  that needs Council to deal with later.

Every day requests for signs  come in and that!s great encouragement. It also means fewer  signs will be on public property.

An election is fought one day at a time and won by one vote at a time.

Stephanie met a man yesterday who said we were wasting time in his neighbourhood.  He "does not like the way I carried on "

She smiled and gave him a pleasant response.

To me she said.  " He's just one of those old men who think women should not behave like men Grannie"

I  said. " He is not typical. I was the first woman Mayor in  Aurora in the seventies.  Ontario towns have had women Council members since the forties and fifties. We live in a great country."

"If he doesn't like my style, it's his choice to make "

I might have been more impressed had he said it to me rather than my young grand-daughter.

That bespeaks another kind  of discrimination.

So....that's how it's going.

I will keep you posted.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter reports seeing 2 more of your signs in places where they were not before. Every bit helps.

Anonymous said...

Will you let us know if you hear of an arrest of anyone defacing sighs ? I have heard that there actually might be a suspect.

Anonymous said...

Just got a flyer regarding the municipal election at my cottage. In my ward I have a choice between two candidates. The incumbent has done a good job so life is easy.

In Aurora, you need an extra set of eyes and ears and a few late nights to sort the candidates. Its a full house but I think there is some good among them.

I am going to be doing my due diligence right up to the very last day.

Anonymous said...

Your Grand-daughter sounds like a peach. How lucky she is to have you as a Grannie!