"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Monday 10 December 2012

A Tiidbit on the Ford Thing

I have to hare this tid bit with you.
Late Sunday night, Global has the West Block followed by Focus on Ontario. They are both worth watching . 
John Tory is the stability on Focus on Ontario. 
Last night Royston James,  columnist with the Toronto Star who 
opines on city affairs  was a guest.
Certainly the Toronto Star could have a  valid complaint lodged  for the continual  unbalanced coverage of Rob Ford..
My bet would be, Ford could not be bothered with the bilge.of lodging complaints . Not many politicians worth their salt would. 
Anyway, I digress, as I am wont, as my enemies are fond of reminding me. 
I've read a few of James columns. They are remarkably without insight. 
The man in person is not an improvement.
 He said and I kid you not.
"The Fords are a bunch of suburban Mayors.... from Etobicoke. 
They are rough around the edges" 
Doug Holyday is the former and  maybe the last Mayor of Etobicoke. Currently,he's the Deputy Mayor of Toronto. As quiet and deliberate as any  I've seen.
Rob Ford was never Mayor of Etobicoke.Nor was his brother Doug.
But they do hail from Etobicoke which is now Toronto. 
It's not clear where Royston James comes from . Or what gives him his  awareness  of  superiority over  the good people of  Etobicoke. 
He is black. That would give him a few extra points in  the competition  for  his job. 
He has written the column since the eighties. If you've missed it, you haven't.
There is a  hint of an accent  trying to be subdued.  
In my mind's eye, I tried to recall a Toronto Mayor against whom a Mayor from Etobicoke might compare unfavourably .
Nary a one. 
Royston James appears not to have any rough edges. 
He's just  an insufferable jackass..        

No comments: