"Cowardice asks the question...is it safe? Expediency asks the question...is it politic? Vanity asks the question...is it popular? But conscience asks the question...is it right? And there comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular but one must take it because it is right." ~Dr. Martin Luther King

Thursday 18 September 2014

People ask for very little

If a candidate  listens  to people during a campaign, there is much to learn

We have read about a  resident who plans to put a sign on his door to deter candidates
from making a connection.

Time and time again I've  heard of a decision  to vote for a candidate because "he was the only one who knocked on my door and asked for my vote"

A  comment  made a couple of days ago about a candidate not being a taxpayer started a discussion.

The immediate  response was ...." So "

It evolved, as it often does to an accusation that  I  have attacked Councillor Pirri  for the same reason.

Councillor Pirri and I have agreed and disagreed during the term.It  haas made no never mind to either of us.

If I  ever made a point the Councillor's inclination to support an extravagance I opposed  because he
wouldn't be paying for it, would that be a low blow or would it simply be a strike against a weakness in his argument.

People  18 years and over have the right to vote and be candidates. If  successful, is it a dirty trick to remind them  of their unique  circumstance  if the occasion arises or  is it a risk they  must be aware of  and take when they decide to make a bid for office.

The voters make the decision to elect.

If Councillor Pirri  or his parents were multi-millionaire, and a person living on a fixed income hurled the charge that he spends more having the hair on his pointy head cut than his parents pay in property
taxes, is  that a relevant point in a debate.

Again, the people will decide.

I think it might be especially  in the heat of the moment when passion arises.

Or is passion  also a no-no.

Some would  argue council meetings should be apolitical. All present should adhere to  calm deliberate, dignified, demeanour, conscious of sensitivities and stupefyingly  dull.

A pox on that.

A rhinoceros hide is not a necessity for participation in politics. But it's not the place for the
easily offended.

Aurora's politics have always been robust. I take personal responsibility for upholding tradition.

The advent of  social media  has  expanded the opportunity outwards.
Simpering  politician  have a hard time coping.

They become whiney and quarrelsome.

I was at the Mayoralty Debate  last night.

Several candidates  introduced themselves to me.
One was the twenty-year old.
He is a pleasant young man ,looking older than his years, wearing a three piece suit ,intent on making a good impression.  He did.

These things also matter.

There are as many reasons for a person to vote as there are persons who vote.

In the last election, John Abel was extremely friendly. Last  night he walked past without acknowledging  my presence.

Politics is about respecting people and their differences.

Things go on in people's lives a candidate knows nothing about.

Often a voter  just needs a reason to hope.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, we certainly have a wide range of candidates who wish to be councillors. From what I have seen & read so far, there is at least a veneer of civility except for one individual who appears to have a lawyer on speed-dial. It is tempting to grumble about the lack of contenders for the job of mayor. But then TO has only 2 or 3 that matter.

Anonymous said...

We have lived here for quite a few years and exactly 2 candidates have come to the door. In both cases, they were already on our lists so all we did was send them on their way into the night.

Anonymous said...


This system in Aurora is funny. Very few residents have the time, energy or inclination to assess 28 candidates. Many, many votes are guesses.

If you don't believe me ask some of your neighbours, co-workers or whomever.

In regard to your comment that you were snubbed by Abel, I would take this as a compliment. There are some you don't want to confuse with facts.

Anonymous said...

It's going to be tough for any candidate that is not already known, for good or bad reasons, in town. The logistics of a debate for 28 candidates is challenging so we are stuck with the written materials. Trying to find actual facts and intentions is like looking for hen's teeth.

Anonymous said...

With so many candidates, the incumbents with their name recognition have an extra advantage. Those with surnames earlier in the alphabetical order should benefit further.

Anonymous said...

Aurora needs someone like that Baxter guy in Newmarket, He never wins but he makes waves.

Anonymous said...

Guess I don’t have any class either...I wouldn't have acknowledged his presence if I walked by him.

Anonymous said...

17:22 – I like him. I’d vote for him, and that Maddie councillor.

Anonymous said...

ALL candidates should lose the rhetoric about " visions ". Visions cost money & history gives a mixed verdict on them. I am more concerned about taxes and basic service costs & levels.

Anonymous said...

17:12
It definitely helps but if one has a name on a list, the extra bit of time is worth spending. Last election. I hung on 'til the "T". I guess we can only pass our lists to those who ask for suggestions.

Anonymous said...


By reading the websites of those candidates who have gone to this stage at the moment and by knowing a little bit about the past political affiliations of some of the wannabes I was able to select 6 new faces as councillors with only two carryovers.

To me they represent a serious, experienced group of people willing to work in the best interests of the town.

No amount of self-promotional buffoonery will affect my decision, be it in the mayoralty race or that for council.

Anonymous said...

@18:27
Maybe you do have no class. There is no excuse to be rude just because you disagree with a candidate. Vote as you wish but do not act churlish.

Anonymous said...

Maddie?! That says all we need to know about you.

Anonymous said...


I have tried, and I am trying, not to say what I really think and feel about a candidate running for a seat on Council.

But it is getting harder and harder to do so.

The following is a quote from said candidate's twitter site:

"Voters trust me B/C I address issues & am accountable."

To the best of my knowledge this person has never held elected office municipally and probably has not sought same previously.

How can a person say that "voters trust me" in the absence of any proof that they do, or did?

This is taking buffoonery to a higher level.

Nice word 19:36.

Anonymous said...

I was making a point 20:04

Anonymous said...

I don't share your difficulty, 20:52.

Two words: whack job.

Anonymous said...

@20:52

I think his claims are as genuine as his hair colour.

Anonymous said...


20:52

I am getting closer and closer to feeling just a bit sorry for the candidate who is being forced into repeating over and over and over the mantra of himself and his campaign as he sees it.

There is nothing new, just the same spurious messages, without an ounce of substance.

I really wish he would withdraw and save himself ongoing agony.

Anonymous said...

I attended the Chamber event and met a great candidate who I will be voting in. He is new but he is what we need

Anonymous said...

One of the candidates is yowling that his signs have been trashed and he is being victimized. That is nonsense. He is not the only one to have damaged signs. He should consider himself lucky. During the last election, signs just plain vanished over- night.

Anonymous said...

14:50
I have a couple of good prospects - none with a last name ending in a vowel, though.....

Anonymous said...

17:16

I guess you are not voting for a Mayor in Aurora? Both candidates last name end in a vowel.